Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone with access to Hampshire baptisms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with access to Hampshire baptisms?

I hope someone can help me with the following baptism:

Name: John Early
    Christening Date: 25 Aug 1789
    Christening Place: CHRISTCHURCH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Father's Name: Thomas Early
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01764-8 ,
    System Origin: England-EASy ,
    GS Film number: 1041289 ,
    Reference ID: item 6

I asked Photoduplication for a copy; they searched for it (including 2 years before and after this date) but could not find it so I assume there is a transcription errorof some (unknown!) sort.

If anyone has access to Hampshire baptisms online I would be grateful for any results - as a guide the name is spelled EARLY or EARLEY, John has father Thomas (mother Mary, but the mother does not always appear on the register) and baptism took place in Hampshire

So, possibilities are (a) a different date (b) a different location in Hampshire

Thanks

I happened to have that very CD in so I've looked under every possible permutation I can think of. It is indexes so I've pretty well ignored the surnames but nothing fits the bill even closely.

© 2008 Hampshire Genealogical Society - Hampshire Baptism Index CD 2

No Johns with father Thomas in Christchurch in 1789. One in 1788, one in 1790 - John Meed 02 Nov 1788 and John Studly 25 Mar 1790.

There are only three John Ear* with father Thomas anywhere between 1752 and 1812:
    Kingsclere 1769, John Earle, mother Hesther.
    Gosport 1805 Mother Fanny.
    John Early, 05 Apr 1761, father Thomas, Mother Elizabeth in Over Wallop.

The ones with different father's name are:
    John Earley 21 Apr 1790 John & Mary Kingsclere
    John Early 08 Jun 1788 Giles & Grace Fordingbridge Notes: Stuckton
    John Early 08 Oct 1790 Father John Winchester St Maurice

Sorry!
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline - it's baffling.

A long shot - but it could be a very odd mistranscription of the one you found: John Studly 25 Mar 1790 (surname, month and year out though!)

Comment

I experienced something similar to this a few years ago - not in Hampshire though. The baptism of my 2 x GGF was on familysearch, along with his nine siblings. It was an extracted record so I felt it was pretty reliable. Some years passed before I actually looked at the original register and to my astonishment, the baptism simply was not there, although the other nine sublings were present and correct.

To cut a long story short, my 2 x GGF turned out to be illegitimate, born to different parents. The transcriber, for whatever reason, had "tidied up" the truth and made him look legitimate (online, at least!) Astonishing. And very annoying because by that time I had done loads of research and gone back a further four or five generations from the wrong parents.

OC

Comment

Very interesting OC and as always just reiterates the need for any serious researchers to look at the original registers.

The guy I'm looking for is not a close rellie - I'm just tidying up some twigs. Nevertheless this guy did exist but now I'm not sure who his parents were!

Comment

Working...
          X