sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sources

I now have a new family tree maker which gives me access to ancestry for 6 months. It is interesting that several people on there have the first McKerrow as son of King James V of Scotland. I had been told about this but have not seen any proof. Several peoples trees say they have sources. How do I find what their sources are? (hope that doesn't sound like a daft question)

Their sources are normally other people's trees. If you scroll down towards the bottom of the page on the right hand side it will tell you what sources they are quoting. Very rarely do I find any useful ones. The trees you need have to have records attached.

Tora
    Last edited by Tora; 13-11-14, 06:20.

Comment

ok thanks Tora. Was hoping maybe somebody had found proof that I have royal blood!!!! LOL

Comment

You could do what I used to do when I found annoying stuff like this! Post a comment on their tree asking what their proof is for this information. One or two will reply and tell you the truth (that they just blindly copied someone else's tree and one or two will actually remove the duff info if you are lucky. Either way, your comment will alert others to the fact that the tree is not necessarily accurate.

OC

Comment

Instead of wasting time searching often inaccurate online trees you would be far better immersing yourself in original records in archives and private hands.

There are thousands of original records sleeping soundly in archives up and down the country that have not been disturbed for decades if not much longer. A great deal of them have not even been catalogued yet and will not be unless people visit the archives and ask what records they have in store.
          If you cannot find the records you require in the archives catalogues ask what else they have that has not been catalogued, you will be amazed.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I completely agree with that, Guy. I have found stuff in Records offices and (more often) town archives which hasn't been disturbed for decades AND which hasn't been catalogued. I've also seen stuff uncatalogued but labelled - and the box or folder contained something else entirely, including records which were either assumed missing or non existent! One of my very best finds I literally tripped over - a cardboard box on the floor of a tiny town archive which contained parish mags since about 1833 and explained much that had long puzzled me.

However, Gloryer was asking a fair question and I think that the internet can often be a shortcut to information. I, for one, wouldn't have a clue as to where to start looking for the information she is seeking and it just MIGHT be that one of those tree owners has actually seen a relevant source.

Only this week I have had an example in my own tree of how pre-internet research was often blinkered and inadequate due to the restraints of physical research. If I had had access to the internet 20 years ago I could have discovered in an afternoon what is has taken me 20 years to discover, mostly because I didn't know the information was there to be discovered and compared, if that makes sense.

OC

Comment

okay thanks, I see what you mean now that most of the sources are from other peoples trees. Switching to another of my lines somebody has gone bak one further line than me. I am most interested to find where they got this info from as I did search the parish fisches to get back as far a I have, and with a surname spelling change makes it even more interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X