Ever get the feeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get the feeling?

That a street may have been named after your Ancestor?

The more information I'm finding online the more that I'm starting to believe it.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Sarah, no ancestors weren't important enough for a street, but the do have a creek named after them.

Tora

Comment

These weren't even important people Tora. At least not that I know of yet.
      They had a farm within that area that the Bishop of Durham had leased to them and next minute there's a Fenny Street within that area.

Comment

Could it simply be that the name came into common usage because it was the way out of town to Fenny's farm? Did the family live there there a long time?

Comment

1740's it was Stokesley, 1790's it was Stockton. The Probate post that I've just done does mention that he was a Farmer as does a few census transcripts on FMP, the sister of the farmer married into the Brown family who married into Peacock and they were all on Fenny Street at some point as well. I used FMP to just search for the street in census records and the earliest I'm getting up is 1861. Everything all seems to be connecting in such a way that it's made me believe that the street was named after them. Half of the other streets within that area were all named after Battles of the Crimean war.

Comment

Try oldmaps.co.uk for the farm and see if the road leading to it goes through what later became the built up area. If you can't see it on that site try going through the National Library of Scotland site as they now have online old OS maps for England. They have recentky merged with National Archives of Scotland and others to have an umbrella website but I can't remember the exact url. Google the libray and you will get taken to the right place as the merger is recent that the old links will forward to the new one.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 12-11-14, 14:10.

Comment

Sarah,

My creek was named from common usage. Grandfather lived and worked on the property and owner didn't.

Tora

Comment

Working...
              X