military records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military records

during the free weekends on some of the sites I managed to find some of my great great grandfathers military info. So now I have his military number would I be able to find out more and where would I get the information from?

On Facebook FMP offer £1-00 for a month, don't forget to tick the box that stops automatic subscription charges otherwise you will get £9.95 drawn from your account after a month.

Comment

what did you find ? and can you put his name on here so people can look ? save looking for the same info

Comment

Alexander Mckerrow
        service number 3914
        private
        90th Foot (Perthshire volunteers)
        Defence of Lucknow
        Also McKerrow in Musters
        Indian Mutiny Medal Roll 1857-1859

I believe this is the right person. However as far as we know he was also in Crimean.We went to the Black watch museum in Perth but they had no record of him and we always thought he was in the Black watch

Comment

If he was in India, as seems likely, the FIBIS web site would have information on him, at least for the time he must have spent there and it would also confirm the unit that

he was with. Googling FIBIS will bring up the site. There is some correlation with the foot units and their modern day equivalents but I don't know where that information lies.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks Grumpy, just googled and got the site straight away so that's a good sign for me!!! LOL
            I will give it a try.

Comment

Hope this also helps

Edna

Comment

That's a nice condensed history of the 90th Foot Edna. Should put Gloryer on the right track.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

There's an A McKerrow of 90th Foot in the Crimea Medal Roll on Ancestry. As often happens with these records, the service number is cut off, but it ends with a 4, so perhaps the right man.

If his service records have survived, they will be in the British Army Service Records 1760-1915 database on FMP

If they haven't survived, his record could be traced by going through the Muster Rolls at Kew, which would give a quarterly account for each year, showing where he was and when, any promotions or demotions, disciplinary matters, etc and the last he appears in would show when he was discharged.

Also worth looking at the 1861 Worldwide Army Index on FMP as that will show you where he was at that time
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

thank you for the info

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

He must have been one of the oldest surviving veterans of Crimea and the Indian Mutiny. Died aged 96. One of the newspapers gives a different service number.
                        Your search results for mckerrow crimean: 5 newspaper articles contained information about mckerrow crimean filtered by: Date from: 1st Jan 1920 - Date to: 31st Dec 1929
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk
                        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

when I tried to look at those links Phil it said I had to subscribe?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            when I tried to look at those links Phil it said I had to subscribe?
                            Val, they are on fmp as well but I can't link to them.
                            Last edited by keldon; 11-11-14, 15:50.
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

oh okay shall have a look

Comment

found them thanks

Comment

how fantastic is that ,amazing age for those days

Comment

oh just found an old post about this and he died in 1909 so not the one we have been looking at Phil

Comment

this is really a strange thing as we searched the black watch museum and couldn't find anything on him. We have a picture of his grave so he defo died 1909. A lady sent me an autograph of alexander mckerrow belonging to a nurse from the Crimean but he had dated it after his death so can only assume this would have been another alexander mckerrow. I have that one as being married to Elizabeth moore but have not got a connection on my tree to him

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        oh just found an old post about this and he died in 1909 so not the one we have been looking at Phil
                                        Blimey. What are the chances of that?
                                        Phil
                                        historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                        X