My criminal William Edwards again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My criminal William Edwards again

Remember him? He got done for stealing in 1829 and was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Van Dieman's Land but never seemed to have arrived yet his 3 co-defendants did.

I have an image showing him from UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books 1802-1849. He is on the 'Ganymede'. The names above and below him are two of his co-defendants who, like him, got 7 years. The other got 14 years.

Messrs Buckley and Dunning left the 'Ganymede' on 16 September 1829 and transferred to the 'Bussorah Merchant' which set sail 1 October 1829.

I can't make out what happened to William on 11 April 1835. Can anyone tell me what is written to the left of that date in the last column please?

William Edwards on prison hulk Ganymede.jpg

Could it be free

Vera

Comment

Similar scenario for my ancestor, who was "pardoned" after serving 6 yrs on "Retribution." (He must have been tough - bet he left the Christmas "fat turkey" and geese alone after that!)

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-11-14, 15:43.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        Could it be free

Vera
        It could be, I don't see a stroke through the capital for an F though.
        I wish it was Dec then I'd could stop searching for him but I don't think think the second letter is an 'e', doh!

Comment

It looks like "Pd."; possibly an abbreviation for "pardoned".

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            It looks like "Pd."; possibly an abbreviation for "pardoned".
            It could be, thanks for that.

Does anybody know where I should look for original paperwork for pardoned prisoners of this period (1830's)?

Comment

Had a look at the Ganymede on the 'other' site, there are 2 listed in the Description book of convicts in the hulk 'Ganymede', moored at Chatham, 1814-1831. Tried looking for pardons last night and through the papers, might be a National Archives listing you will need to get any further. Have the same sort of problem with one of mine, nothing has been put online for the dates he was sent to Gibraltar and I don't know where he went.

The only document I managed to find for ship hulks when I looked for my relative, was for the Fortitude and Euryalus 1825-1836 when searching, so have that downloaded because I knew I would never find it again on NA.
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Found this to help

【2024年3月28日更新】クレジットカード現金化の優良店比較ランキングサイト!換金率が高く即日入金可能で利用者の口コミ評判の高いおすすめ人気業者を紹介掲載しています。お金に困ってる方は、ぜひ参考にしてください。

and this also

THE HULKS
                "......................... they are securely moored near a dock yard or arsenal so that the labour of the convicts may be applied to the public service................
                A strict account is kept of the labour performed by each gang, there being a scale by which it is calculated, and out of each shilling earned for the government by the convict, he is entitled to a penny, which is carried to his credit, but of this he only receives one third part weekly, the remainder being left to accumulate until the expiration of the term to which he is doomed to serve; thus it sometimes happens that a man, who has been 6 or 7 years on board the hulks, on his discharge is put in possession of £10 or £12, and is supplied with an additional sum of money to defray his travelling expenses home.................."
                (Bath Chronicle, 13 Jan 1825)
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Many thanks for those links Elaine. Will follow them up.

Comment

Working...
                  X