2 Russell/Brown Marriages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Russell/Brown Marriages

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with something, I have a Charlotte Brown born in Stockton, 1898 and I've found that she may have married a Thomas Russell in 1920.

I have a Thomas Russell born in 1896, Stockton as well whose marriage I have yet to find.

Thomas has a sister named Esther who married Joseph Brown who has a sister named Charlotte.

Could they have married each other's siblings?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

If you're asking us is this is possible, then:
    No legal reason why siblings couldn't marry siblings. Many did - I have several examples of this in my own tree - and know of a couple who first met at the marriage of a sibling of each of them. Golden wedding next year!

If you're asking us to help you find out if specific siblings DID marry siblings and it's post 1911, that's a much more difficult question to answer. We would need to have access to records stating bride & groom fathers' names.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Basically did the sibling of Joseph marry the sibling of Esther, I have found a possible son but due to him being born in 1921 I daren't name him for legal reason's. I will however state that Esther's parents were: JAMES Russel & Martha Cocker.

Joseph's parents were: Michael Brown, Elizabeth Baker.

Joseph & Esther are dead and for safety none of their children will be named either.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
        If you're asking us is this is possible, then:
        No legal reason why siblings couldn't marry siblings. Many did - I have several examples of this in my own tree - and know of a couple who first met at the marriage of a sibling of each of them. Golden wedding next year!

If you're asking us to help you find out if specific siblings DID marry siblings and it's post 1911, that's a much more difficult question to answer. We would need to have access to records stating bride & groom fathers' names.
        Jay
        Lennon, knowing the fathers' names of your candidates doesn't help; we would need to access the actual marriage documentation or online images of this, to see what names were entered. In my area, I would go to the local record office in the hope that the register had been filmed and put on microfiche. (Wouldn't be of any use if the marriages were RO ceremonies though.) Have you looked locally for PR images, transcriptions, or for marriage announcements/reports? Quite often these named parents.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 31-10-14, 15:45.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'll try the registry office, usually for Stockton if you provide all the details you can check to see if it's the right certificate rather than wasting money. I've done it a few times for Phillips & Peacock. If they say that the parents names don't match then we'll know they aren't siblings but that it's similar names.

Comment

Working...
          X