Goodeys/Goodwins in Berkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodeys/Goodwins in Berkshire

Does anyone know if there were any newspapers available in the Wantage/Charlton areas of Berkshire around 1830? Seems a long shot but I'm running out of options! My Goodeys/Goodwins are proving elusive.

hi it wouldn't neccessarily only be in the Berkshire papers there is quite a few Charlton Berkshire records on FMP in Newspapers in Newcastle Birmingham Leicestershire etc
    What are you looking for

Comment

The British Newspaper Archives (also available on Findmypast) has some Berkshire newspaper coverage -
      Reading Mercury 1750-1949
      Berkshire Chronicle 1800-1899
      Windsor & Eton Express 1800-1949

You may find you local library has access to these (free).
      Elaine

Comment

I'm looking for any info about SIMON GOODEY who seems to have disappeared between 1826-1833. He might have fallen foul of the law. He was baptised in EWELME in 1792, son of BENJAMIN and ANN, married in CROWMARSH GIFFORD in 1814 and had at least 4 children baptised in Wantage then disappeared. I've not found any mention of him after 1826. (the year his last known child was baptised)That's why I'm thinking he may have been in the news perhaps?

Comment

ty elaine

Comment

Chrissie Elaine, my Goodey/Goodwin problem is this.JOHN GOODEY is listed as father of JAMES GOODEY when James married in 1849. When I looked for James' baptism, the only one anywhere was baptised 1823 son of SIMON and MARY ANN. The date 1823 is spot on as James died in 1892 aged 69-informant HARRIET, the lady JAMES married. So why is SIMON not listed as father of JAMES on the marriage certificate? That's why I think something unusual must have happened early in James' life and he then grew up believing JOHN was his father. That's why I'm inquiring about newspapers of that time hoping there may be something about the missing SIMON. He disappeared after 1826-James would then be 3 so it's possible that he grew up with JOHN as his "adopted" father. I just need some kind of proof so that I can move on to the next step!

Comment

Still trying to find the truth of Simon Goodey! I am subscribed to Ancestry but I do not have access to international records, therefore could someone please search if SIMON GOODEY from Berkshire was transported to Australia or else where between 1825-1835. I have looked through available newspapers from that time and as yet have found no mention of Simon though not all newspapers are digitised yet. Thanks

Comment

`I know its a long shot, but as the areas that you are looking at are now in Oxfordshire, is it worth checking out the records office etc in Oxford?

Comment

ty bethc, Oxfordshire office has searched their files but nothing on Simon other than his baptism and parents burials in 1798 and 1800 and Simon's marriage in 1814. See post 4.

Comment

Working...
                  X