No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me to read this please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me to read this please?

I am sorry to burden anyone with this - I can't even seem to put the link on properly but I did try.
    Writing is unreadable to me except I have a good idea of what I am looking for - I am looking for the marriage of Robert Sharples and Mary Clayton - I don't know the date of their marriage but I am pretty sure the names are correct and I think the church is St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn which is where their daughter was baptised - however, I am reading the date of marriage as 1699 but their daughter was baptised at same church on 4.3.1778 - I don't think they would still be having children then! Basically I am looking for Robert Sharples and a Mary (this was written beside daughter's baptism) - this is the first time Clayton has come up - I hadn't known of it before so I may have the whole thing wrong but will never know unless I can read it.

Many thanks for any help. Sue

It is the marriage of Robert Sharples and Mary ...ayton both of Moston ........ this ... day of May 1699 ........ being 3 times published in the parish of ???

Are you sure the date of the daughter's baptism was 1778 ? could have it have been 1718, which would make more sense if this is the right couple.

Or, which has happened in my family tree, same male names and same female names, 15 years apart, all different people.

Comment

Many thanks for that - the daughters dob seems to be correct so I must be barking up the wrong Tree .............. back to the drawing board.
      I have only just realised that I could have got the basic information on this - not as much as you gave me though - from a little yellow square in the bottom left hand corner - the Index. I can't believe I have never noticed it before!!!!

Sue

Comment

Sue

There are a number of Robert Sharples/Mary marriages on LAN-OPC, but the one around 1778 is of Mary Piccop, not Clayton. Is the surname Clayton a definite?

OC

Comment

OC

No, the name Clayton is not a definite. I suspect I will have to double check the baptism of daughter is correct - the one I have is definitely 1778. I have noticed there are quite a few Robert and Marys - I have obviously got the wrong one.
          This is a mainline of my Tree and I have previously tried to trace them back further and failed - I have got almost as far again but now come to a standstill. Last time the line ended up in Habergham Eaves or similar - not sure it is going that way this time. The reason I went for the Mary Clayton/Robert Sharples marriage is because the church possibly is St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn - it was for daughters baptism also. I don't think I am going to be able to prove this lot and one of my educated/uneducated "guesses" is clearly not going to be enough.

Sue
          [Can't do any more tonight as have square eyeballs but will have another good go at it tomorrow.]

Comment

I have a bit more on this lot now and can also see why Clayton stuck in my mind ...................!

Ann Sharples baptism seems to be correct bap 4.3.1778 Blackburn - parents ROBERT SHARPLES and MARY ?
            Ann Sharples of CLAYTON b 1778 married William Dean of Harwood on 9.7.1789 - married at Altham (?St. James)

I wanted to find out who Ann's parents, Robert and Mary were to enable me to go further back with them (obviously Mary is not a Sharples at birth but is Robert Sharples)

I would also love to have a second opinion on the father of William Dean - I have William as son of Benjamin Dean - Cunliffe and he was baptised at Burnley St. Peter on 26.12.1773. Benjamin Dean is a bit odd in that he may have been Cunliffe (I saw that somewhere else - I suspect his parents may not have tied the knot in time for his birth - this may relate to the birth of his father who I think is another Benjamin, rather than this Benjamin - you can see why I am more confused than usual!

Will now try to put "thingies" on from which I took the baptisms and marriages of the above.

Marriage of Ann Sharples and William Dean:
            link removed

Baptism of Ann Sharples - Parents Robert and Mary Sharples
            link removed

Baptism of William Dean
            link removed

Grateful for any snippets of info on the above.

Sue All crumbs of information gratefully received
            Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 26-10-14, 15:05. Reason: Links removed at poster's request

Comment

The original record you asked about is for 8th May 1699, Richard Sharples and Maria Clayton - the image looks like it is from a particularly bad quality film copy. There is another entry in the Bishops transcripts (also on Ancestry) which is only slightly better - but I think says "both of Mellor", which is a small village near Blackburn.

Sharples/Clayton and Cunliffe are very common names in that part of Lancashire so you need to be careful making connections. Look for wills, property records, settlements/removals and use them with the parish registers to try and put the family groupings together.

The links you posted are to your private tree - you might be better putting "open" links direct to the records.
              Last edited by AntonyM; 26-10-14, 14:26.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Antony.
                I actually think I am quite confused by this part of the Tree and it is back to the drawing board.
                It is only the second time I have put "links" from ancestry on here - I obviously got it wrong this time - thanks for alerting me.

Sue

Comment

Sue

Ann born 1778 can't have married in 1789, or am I misunderstanding your post?

OC

Comment

No you are not misunderstanding it! I didn't notice I am ashamed to say - don't think marriage at 11 was ever legal!
                    It is back to the drawing board for her and her family I am afraid.
                    There are so many that could fit that at the moment it would be a guess and I don't want to put a guess on!
                    May work on it a bit today and see what I can find. I can't put any more downloads on at the moment - OH says we are about to exceed broadband package! I stupidly thought everything would be a doddle once I had an ancestry package!

Sue

Comment

Sorry for all the confusion yesterday!
                      I have now sorted out the marriage of William Dean and Ann Sharples (but not her parents) ............I now have a problem with William Dean's father.
                      I think, from parish records, he is a Benjamin Dean baptised at St. Peters Burnley on 16 December 1753. His baptism just gives father's name, another Benjamin Dean.
                      On Family Search Batch no. C00520-3 he is Benjamin Dean or Cunliffe and mentions Peggy Cunliffe - I am assuming he was illegitimate.
                      I wondered if anyone could help me to ascertain a) is he the correct father for William Dean and b) if so, am I right in thinking this entry suggests he is illegitimate? If he is the correct chap I believe his father is also Benjamin.
                      I am revisiting this part of my Tree having given up on it some years ago - seems to be getting into the same muddle again with the numerous Deans.

Sue

Comment

According to LAN-OPC, he is base son of Benjamin Dean and Peggy Cunliffe.

Benjamin and Peggy subsequently married 15 November 1760.

OC

Comment

That is brilliant OC. Thanks so much.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X