Smith out of TN,IL,IA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith out of TN,IL,IA

I`m researching my Smith out of Giles County,Tn and the ended up in Morgan Co,Il and ended up in Jefferson and Decatur and Ringgold Counties in Ia.

William Smith B:3-15-1816 Giles County,Tn D: 1-28-1893 Ringgold County,Ia
    M Catherine Kathryn Keltner B: 5-25-1819 Il D:1-20-1889 Ringgold County,Ia M:4-12-1838 Morgan Co,Il

Children

Sarah 1839 Jefferson Co,Ia

James Marion 1841 M Mina Alice Pugsley

Henry Keltner 1842

William T 1846-1923 m twice 1st Charity Elizabeth Barton 2nd Melvina S Stuart

David W 1848 M Clara Knight

Martha 1849 M William W Lowder

* John Morgan 10-17-1851 11-5-1949 m *1st Angelina Oliver 2nd Nancy Elizabeth Slivers 3rd Ann Ellen Rains

Albert J 1854 Mary Elizabeth Caviness

Nancy J 1855-1923 Lewis Knight

George W 1859

Looking for info on this family espically on William parents. * denotes my direct line. NancyJ and David W married siblings Clara and Lewis Knight

Thanks,
    Kristi Seibert

Hi, Kristi -
    Welcome to FTF!
    Just looking at William Smith (1816-1898):
    Assume you've seen this?

The county histories might be a treasure trove, if your ancestor was included. There is one written for Ringgold county in 1887
    Biographical and historical record of Ringgold and Union counties, Iowa : containing portraits of all the presidents of the United States from Washington to Cleveland, with biographies of each; a condensed history of the state of Iowa, and of Ringgold and Union counties
    I haven't looked for it, but it may be online - let google be your friend. It might be at archive.org, or in google books, or others

familysearch's catalog can be a useful source of clues to resources, and their films can be ordered to your nearest Family History Center for a small fee:

Locating a local paper could be quite useful. A long obit may discuss William's parents and more about his birth place. If you order the death certificate for William, it might have his parents' names, and more likely his birth place. US death certificates of that time varied in the information they included, and I don't know about Iowa's.

Sorry, long day, but hope these clues may help you.
    sarah

ps - to avoid confusion between date formats (US: mm/dd/yyyy and the rest of the world: dd/mm/yyyy), I use the format dd mmm yyyy where mmm is a three-letter abbreviation of the month!

Comment

Working...
    X