Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry - free access to global immigration records

Just had this via email from ancestry:
    Free access to global immigration records runs Oct. 20 through Oct. 23 at midnight ET.
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

That looks very useful!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
      That looks very useful!

Christine
      It is - just spent a couple of hours marrying up UK outgoing records with arrivals in US and Canada for loads of my emigrants. I'd planned to go the library this afternoon to access ancestry there so the email was very timely - didn't have to venture out into the tail end of the hurricane which is currently buffeting us here in Lancashire!
      Tip - don't forget to look at the next (and previous) images where you can sometimes find lots more info, including who they were travelling to, physical descriptions etc.
      This offer also includes US naturalization records and passport apps under the heading of immigration and travel.

I found the U.S. passport app for one of mine who became a naturalised US citizen but was travelling back to Donegal from Maine to see his "aged parents" and to marry. The next images included some correspondence showing he was really cutting it fine, especially when the passport office wrote back wanting more evidence to prove the "necessity" of his trip. Cue irate bride waiting at the church, but he made it by the skin of his teeth. And yes, it runs in the family - we still tend to leave things till the last minute! The next images also included his passport photo.
      Christine
      Last edited by Karamazov; 21-10-14, 16:15.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thank you, Christine....off to have a look!
        Jacky

Comment

Belated thanks - made much use of it yesterday and on Weds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
            Belated thanks - made much use of it yesterday and on Weds.
            On the off chance, I just looked at these records again just now and the free access still seems to be available. It must surely be well after midnight on the 23rd Eastern Time but I'm not complaining! Off for some more bonus digging...
            Researching:

Comment

Just checked - it's still available and free!

Comment

Working...
              X