I'm slightly puzzled here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm slightly puzzled here.

Hi guys, yesterday I spotted something on my tree, although I had a year of death for my 5th Great Grandfather William Phillips I didn't have a location. The first thing to come up was Stockton but he didn't live there so I dismissed it, however I couldn't find a Bishop Middleham death at all. Neither could I on FreeBDM, Stockton Roots wouldn't bring up any deaths at all but Durham Records Online did bring up a burial for a William Phillips in Stockton with a birthplace of Cornforth which is in Bishop Middleham.

I searched Family Search which gave the same time frame but the death was in Bishop Middleham so now I have no idea which location is correct at all. I don't suppose anyone else is up for a little searching are they?

William Phillips
    Baptized: 2 July 1772, Bishop Middleham
    Married: 9 Dec 1793, Bishop Middleham
    Death: 28th April 1848, ?

Thank you.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

On FreeBMD
    Death: Q2 1848 William PHILLIPS Stockton &c 24 166
    This registration district includes Bishop Middleham
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've just looked on family search & the Bishop Middleham record is for a burial.

If you order the PR image, it may give you date of death and sometimes place of death.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

From a quick look at Durham Records online I see that the burial is listed as Stockton district so could be Bishop Middleham, and the ref to Cornforth is probably the abode recorded in the parish register as the note by it says birthplace (census) or abode (parish recs). I'm not familiar with the site but take it that if one buys credits one gets the details from the actual burial record which would show date and place where he was buried?
        Last edited by JudithM; 20-10-14, 12:32.

Comment

Bishop Middleham is 30 minutes away from Stockton by car, it's not in what is now classed as the Teesside area. More County Durham.
          My thoughts were that he died here and was transported home but where would the money have come from for that?

His Great Grandchildren were just being born in Great Stainton or Stayton Le Street if your prefer, which isn't that far from Stockton either, more towards Darlington.

If he was going to live with family I'd have said his son, also named William who was a paper maker with his cousin Nicholas and that was in Bishop Auckland which was even further away. William's (Senior) Great Grandchildren did eventually move to Stockton in the 1870's but there wasn't any family at all in the 1840's.

Comment

I'm confused as to why you are confused It looks like he was living in Cornforth which is part of Bishop Middleham, when he died, his death was registered as happening in Bishop Middleham which was part of the Stockton registration district hence Stockton on the death index, and he was buried in Bishop Middleham. Or am I missing some extra facts?
            Last edited by JudithM; 20-10-14, 13:00.

Comment

It's the first I've heard of Stockton & Bishop Middleham being connected in this way. I'd have understood if it was Thornaby or something. It's just that Stockton has always been a town on it's own as far as I've seen. Never connected with villages that are about 5 miles away or something. That's why I was so confused.

Comment

I thoroughly recommend the info about registration districts on Genuki that Freebmd links to. For instance clicking on the Stockton district name beside William Phillips entry on the index brings up this page: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/distri...bmd_1412239200 and then clicking on the word here brings you to http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d.../stockton.html

Comment

Thank you Judith, I've just never spotted the 2 being connected before and it got me puzzled. I guess I can now say that the Phillips lot ended up in Stockton a lot earlier than we thought.

:o

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                    Thank you Judith, I've just never spotted the 2 being connected before and it got me puzzled. I guess I can now say that the Phillips lot ended up in Stockton a lot earlier than we thought.

:o
                    Do you mean Stockton, or Stockton Reg Dist? (Not always the same thing, as Judith has indicated.)

Most of the ag labs in one line of my family had all their civil events registered in the district which is named after the nearest small town. But parish registers and census returns show that they lived in various small villages around the town, although not actually in it.
                    The village where I live is on the border of two reg districts - so if an ancestor lived in my village, then moved to work on a farm just down the road but to the west, a child would have been registered in the adjoining reg district. (Looking on FreeBMD or other civil reg records would suggest they had gone to live in another town; the PR entry shows they'd just changed employers.)
                    It's really useful to get to know the range and boundaries of the different reg districts in the area where your rellies lived. It can help to indicate probable "yeses" or "nos" when searching through civil reg indexes.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

One of my rellies died in Newcastle upon Tyne c 1857 but was buried in Hartlepool where his family lived. Took me forever to find his death as it was a very common name. Who paid to bring him home I haven't a clue they weren't a wealthy family.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I know that William's son, also called William is noted in Census records, Baptisms & an Aycliffe History website as being a Paper maker with his cousin Nicholas but I've not found anything further than that. Nicholas however is found in the Law Advertiser as being declared Bankrupt on Saturday 20th March, 1820's.

Comment

Working...
                        X