Free Electoral Role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Electoral Role?

I don't suppose anyone has come across this before?

I've been able to find both Granddad's, both Nanna's, their siblings and their various cousins on it. It's helped me figure out who certain people on the Lennon side are, still can't find their birth which leads me to believe that it's Scottish.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I've not seen this before, but I think they may be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

If you scroll down the page they are showing 'live searches' with a list of name and town for all recent searches that people have done!
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 16-10-14, 11:42.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I put in my name and it shows my address and all residents that have lived here between 1980 and 2014, including my mother-in-law who lived with us between 2008 and 2011. We have opted to only be on the edited register meaning our details shouldn't come up on a general search. Not a happy bunny at all! :(.

Strange - my son-in-law & daughter aren't listed at their address. I know they opted out of the general register as well.

Stranger and stranger - my younger daughter isn't listed at her address either, although she is listed at mine and she moved out in 2002!
      Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 16-10-14, 13:08.
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Our old address isn't on there as the house was knocked down, it was my deceased relatives that I was searching for apart from 2 of Granddad Lennon's cousins as I've never been able to figure out how they were related due to conflicting stories. Now I know and I've been able to search for their marriages. I can't find their births which leads me to believe that it's Scottish ones.
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Although it's a co.uk domain address, at the bottom is a Spanish address! Curioser and curiouser!

Bev
          Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I just looked at it and came right out as I don't want to have cookies and also they are giving out e mail addresses and too much personal information its far too risky, I am very careful about protecting my personal information so good luck with it.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
              I've not seen this before, but I think they may be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

If you scroll down the page they are showing 'live searches' with a list of name and town for all recent searches that people have done!
              Why on earth do you think they are in breach of the Data Protection Act (DPA).
              The data they are making available is exempt from the DPA by section 34.
              An Act to make new provision for the regulation of the processing of information relating to individuals, including the obtaining, holding, use or disclosure of such information.

Cheers
              Guy
              PS the Data they use is a compilation produced from publicly available Electoral Roles since 1980
              Last edited by Guy; 16-10-14, 21:15. Reason: Added a PS
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

According to the site, the only person who has ever lived in my house is the previous owner, who died in 2007 and also appears on the 192.com site. I have ticked the box for privacy on both BT phone book and the electoral roll.

I assume that you have noticed that they charge you for removing your details if you are in a hurry .....
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

If the info is from the edited version of the electoral roll then there's nothing to be done about it, they are doing nothing illegal. Anyone can buy a copy.

If, however, they are publishing info which is from the FULL register, they are breaking UK law.

OC

Comment

I've never seen this site before either but a quick look for descendants of one of my Grandad's siblings shows that I have a correct address for a certain couple. I have written nice letters enquiring after the paternal grandparents twice over the years but have never had a reply. I now have two other descendants to try. I might just have another go...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                      Why on earth do you think they are in breach of the Data Protection Act (DPA).
                      Because it would appear they they are publishing info from the FULL register, unless they are combining data sources and I am on some other publicly available list

I have searched for a couple of people whom I know should be excluded and their details have come up as well.

Not only have the details come up as the result of my searches, they then appeared in the list of recent searches for everyone to see.
                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

we are listed at our old address but not since we moved in 2000 and we excluded ourselves from the public register only last month.
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Our house is listed from 1980 until 2006. We moved here in 1986 but the previous people are not listed.

Of course we did not 'tick the box' until more recent years so I assume we are still listed at our house for the years we lived there before that option became available. No mystery really! It is the same one FMP.

Anne

Comment

Thanks for the link - i have traced a few relatives who have died and then done a full clear out of cookies on google chrome so hope they dont track me!
                            i was amazingly surprised at what information was up there and can understand why people are worried. havent dared search for myself.
                            Last edited by angelina; 17-10-14, 10:08.
                            Angelina

Comment

To be clear.

We process data from a variety of compliant data sources not only the Open electoral roll, On top of the electoral roll we have built into their people finding databases other data sets to provide current year coverage in excess of 44 million records for a UK nationwide people search. Every day there are thousands of new records being added.
                              Even if a data subject is opted out of open registers, it does not mean it is unlawful to process the record under any circumstance!.It would be rightly unlawful to process the record if it had been obtained via the full register. If the same record has been obtained by a compliant source it makes no difference whether the data subject has opted out or not, the record is now consented and lawfully processed.

In exactly the same way for an ex directory telephone number or indeed a TPS number, if the number is detailed within a consented database then the caveat no longer applies and can and will be processed lawfully and compliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                                Thanks for the link - i have traced a few relatives who have died and then done a full clear out of cookies on google chrome so hope they dont track me!
                                i was amazingly surprised at what information was up there and can understand why people are worried. havent dared search for myself.

The cookies are only in relation to the advertising ONLY. The cookie notice is to comply with the new EU regulations.

There , are a few new data set additions planned e.g. deaths identified to a last known address from 1980 - to current year etc. We will be doing a bit of testing in the coming weeks, if any person has any serious suggestions for inclusion in the free search results we will consider. The only data set we will not consider providing in the free search is a full date of birth for a live person , if the person is deceased, then that is different, that may help the probate lads and girls.

In relation to the FMP database point made earlier by another forum member, this database is much larger than FMP/ which is powered by 192.com database

Comment

How do you define a "compliant data source" ? Can you give us an example of one or two?

For example, since I did not live in the UK before it was possible to opt out of phonebooks etc. and do not publish my phone number or address anywhere, if either were to appear on your site I would be surprised.
                                  Caroline
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                    How do you define a "compliant data source" ? Can you give us an example of one or two?

For example, since I did not live in the UK before it was possible to opt out of phonebooks etc. and do not publish my phone number or address anywhere, if either were to appear on your site I would be surprised.
                                    There many but to provide a few ! Have you ever obtained a quote from a comparison website or made an on line purchase - if so, clearly read the T & C. We hold over 17 million landline numbers that are currently ex directory on top of the public phone book, the current opt out of the public phone book is more than 50% so the need to obtain a land line or mobile number for people is truly premium data.

Comment

Well thanks very much for putting my ex directory phone number online. Bit pointless making it ex directory really, wasn't it.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by free electoral roll View Post
                                        There many but to provide a few ! Have you ever obtained a quote from a comparison website or made an on line purchase - if so, clearly read the T & C. We hold over 17 million landline numbers that are currently ex directory on top of the public phone book, the current opt out of the public phone book is more than 50% so the need to obtain a land line or mobile number for people is truly premium data.
                                        I am not paranoid about my identity issues but I avoid giving out any contact details which will show exactly where I live unless I have to and even then the Ts and Cs generally trumpet that they do not use my details for anything - does that mean they are telling porkies and are selling them on to you? How do you get held of ex-directory numbers otherwise? Who is being "compliant" ? Anyone like OC whose number you seem to have, certainly isn't.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X