Walter Henry Foster ?death and Probate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Henry Foster ?death and Probate

I have a thorny problem with this chap. He is on, I now know, many other Trees and none have found his death. I have found one in Leicestershire and Probate which is odd ..............

Parents: George Foster and Mary Ann Rowland
    Walter:
    1871 b Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hants
    1881 " "
    1891 2 Queens Terrace, Epping - a School Board Teacher - it is known he had to give this up (still training I think) because of an event that caused his father to lose his job as Head Keeper of Epping Forest but he obviously went back and qualified at some stage.
    1901 43 Baker Street, Clerkenwell - Working as a Clerk
    1906 Married to Emily Constance Palmer b1875 - d1960
    1911 Montford, Shrawardine, Salop - occ: Teacher - supposed to be 2 children but none found
    26.4.1947 Death (but is it his) 136 St. Leonards Road, Leicester - Vol: 3a p498
    Probate online: All left to a Susannah Foster (wife is not deceased until 1960)

I either have the wrong death (he did have a brother living in Leicester but not at same address) and it appears to be the only one or it really is him. I don't know who Susannah Foster is?
    AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Ancestry shows you can search for marriage AND divorce - have never seen a divorce on there for anyone.

All contributions gratefully received, Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 13-10-14, 14:20.

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
    I have a thorny problem with this chap. He is on, I now know, many other Trees and none have found his death. I have found one in Leicestershire and Probate which is odd ..............

Parents: George Foster and Mary Ann Rowland
    Walter:
    1871 b Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hants
    1881 " "
    1891 2 Queens Terrace, Epping - a School Board Teacher - it is known he had to give this up (still training I think) because of an event that caused his father to lose his job as Head Keeper of Epping Forest but he obviously went back and qualified at some stage.
    1901 43 Baker Street, Clerkenwell - Working as a Clerk
    1906 Married to Emily Constance Palmer b1875 - d1960
    1911 Montford, Shrawardine, Salop - occ: Teacher - supposed to be 2 children but none found
    26.4.1947 Death (but is it his) 136 St. Leonards Road, Leicester - Vol: 3a p498
    Probate online: All left to a Susannah Foster (wife is not deceased until 1960)

I either have the wrong death (he did have a brother living in Leicester but not at same address) and it appears to be the only one or it really is him. I don't know who Susannah Foster is?
    AM I MISSING SOMETHING? Ancestry shows you can search for marriage AND divorce - have never seen a divorce on there for anyone.

All contributions gratefully received, Sue
    A probate does not show who anything was left to - it only shows who was responsible for administering the estate so it can how someone quite unrelated to the person concerned. In this case if Susanna is shown as widow of the deceased I would say it is not your man.

Margaret

Comment

This is the one who died in Leicestershire with a wife Susanna http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...iv=1&ml_rpos=6 and he's a boot maker

Margaret

Comment

The 1911 census says married 4 years, no children. Also they're living at School House, Montford, and under occupation it says "School Master, Head Salop C C". Not that any of that helps find his death, of course ...

STG
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks very much Margaret.
          You are correct - it is not him. I do understand that the person named is not necessarily the beneficiary.
          I think it is back to the drawing board for him.

Sue

Comment

Thanks STG - The 1911 census is the correct one for him. He was only 40 in 1911 so hardly retirement age.
            Shame there isn't another census after 1911 to consult!

Sue

Comment

Here's a list of births to Foster with mmn as Palmer from Mar 1911 to Dec 1920 - there is one in Alverstoke 1912 that looks interesting but none in Shropshire where they were living in 1911. http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

I think it would be worthwhile asking the library covering Montford Shrawardine, Shropshire if they could check the electoral register for you for a period of say 5 years to see if and when they moved away.

Margaret
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-10-14, 15:06.

Comment

I did all the deaths from 1940 - 1965 on free BMDs
                Only found one - correct area for where he grew up from 1891 onwards or at least nearby - died December 1969.
                Unfortunately when I looked further it was someone born in 1897 in Enfield - he was born 1871 in Alverstoke, Hants.
                Think I will have to ask the library BUT I bet they emigrated!!! Difficult to disappear without trace. I wondered why NOBODY could find him!
                Thanks for your help.

Sue

Comment

... I bet they emigrated!!!
                  Yet, his wife died in London ...

STG

Comment

I have also just found on ancestry an emigration (or at least a journey) to Durban, South Africa in 1937 aboard the vessel Watussi with Walter Henry Foster age 56 (my chap should be 61) and, unfortunately, he is travelling with "Annie" his wife age 55. My chap's wife was Emily Constance Foster (nee Palmer) - if this is him I suspect it is not the correct lady. I would like to think it is not him!

Sue

Comment

If we've got the correct death for Emily Constance (Palmer) Foster on 9 Feb 1960, then she was living at 3 Coningsby Road, Finsbury Park.

I've found her on the 1923 London ERs at the same address, living with a Kate Emily Palmer.

STG

Comment

That is a very useful find! No sign of hubby I take it? I will have a look.

Sue

Comment

No sign of hubby I take it?
                          'fraid not :(

STG

Comment

What about the Walter H Foster who died in Q2 1916 in West Ham. He was b. abt 1871 ?

STG

Comment

I don't think I know about him? I would have thought it was possible that Walter was called up for WWI but he would be a bit old for that plus school teachers are not normally "called up" I think? However, the one you mention died in West Ham so war service is probably not relevant there.
                              I do wonder if he died in Shropshire but haven't found anything yet.
                              There are a lot of Trees on Ancestry with Walter Henry Foster and the whole family on them BUT not a single one has a date of death for Walter!

Sue

Comment

Looks like Emily Constance Palmer and Kate Emily Palmer are sisters. Here's the 1881...http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...nSearchResults
                                Rick

Comment

The administrator of Emily Constance's estate was an Arthur Maurice Palmer, b. 1905, I think. A nephew, perhaps? Seems he died in 1988 in Barnett.

And when Kate Emily dies in 1939, the administrator of her estate is ..... Emily Constance Foster, widow !

STG
                                  Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 13-10-14, 17:01. Reason: extra info

Comment

You are correct Rick and I have just taken a better look at the 1911 census - Walter and Emily married in 1906 and 1911 it stated no children had been born (alive or dead) to them.
                                    I thought it was possible they had a child later - in fact I am sure I was told there were 2 BUT I wouldn't like to rely on my memory!

Sue

Comment

Kate was 3 years older than Emily Constance.
                                      It would appear that Kate Emily is not a child of Emily Constance.

Now we know that Walter died 1939 or earlier - it is good to pin that down a bit more.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                                        The administrator of Emily Constance's estate was an Arthur Maurice Palmer, b. 1905, I think. A nephew, perhaps?
                                        Checked up on Arthur's father and he was Herbert C Palmer, b/ 1879 - younger brother of Kate and Emily. So, Arthur was Emily's nephew.

STG

Comment

Working...
                                        X