tracing convict forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing convict forward

a convict has caught my eye, and i wonder if he is my ancestor?

edward bailey aged about 18, b.1815 from lewes, sussex convicted 1833 at kesteven quarter sessions in lincolnshire. stole a box of clothing, and previously stolen a watch. the convict records say his real name was edward alfred bailey and he used an alias edward alfred baker and he was a tailor. he was transported aboard the 'moffatt' in 1834 to tasmania for 7 years. he got a freedom ticket in 1840.

my ancestor edward alfred bailey first appears in melbourne in 1849 marrying catherine kelly. they have a few children, then he marries in 1860 to annie palmer. on the marriage he states he was born in 1818 in lewes sussex, backed up by the births of his children to annie. the death just records 'sussex' as birthplace. he is always listed as 'gentleman' for occupation, but there is a lot of family lore concerning property he owned and jobs he had, none of which i have looked into yet. lore states he arrived in sydney in 1838 aboard the 'essex' from london, and then arrived in melbourne aboard the 'bright planet', but i don't know where this info comes from.

so i'm wondering if it's possible he was a convict? there is so much lore we just can't find any evidence for, and it would make sense if he was a convict.
Working...
X