Marriage record from 1596

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage record from 1596

Please would someone be kind enough to look at this for me?

Marriage record of Richard senior in Merston 1594.jpg

I am trying to read the christian name of the bride who, according to the transcription on a CD, is Agnes Smith. There is no way I can see the name is Agnes.
    Any suggestions please?

The rest of the entry is "Richard Napes of Boxgrove was married unto ? Smyth of Merston the 12th day of July 1594"

Shirley
    Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 10-10-14, 21:13. Reason: incomplete details

it looks like Smythe to me but cannot read her first name

Comment

It's "Annis Smyth". I have transcribed quite a few early records where the girl is called Annis.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I agree with Annis. I have a few early ancestors called Annis.

{Aside: I often wondered if Annis was the name of the erm, un-named wife in Rebecca! We were just told her name was unusual and began with A!))

OC

Comment

OC, I transcribe a fair few records for Cornwall OPC and Annis was quite a popular early name. If you search the Cornwall OPC database you will find 118 baptisms for Annis. So it certainly is a candidate for the un-named wife.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth, thank you so much - I hadn't heard of Annis before but I was certain it was not Agnes. The problem is now solved.

Comment

I also have an early Annecy (which was transcribed as Amey) which I think was probably Annis.

OC

Comment

Working...
              X