Married by certificate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married by certificate?

On a marriage certificate I have just obtained (the marriage took place in 1906), in the space where it normally says 'Married by banns' or 'Married by special licence' it says 'Married by certificate'. Does anyone know what this means? Is it just another word for a license or is it something else again? Many thanks for all replies.

Also on the subject of marriages (not the same one), can anyone comment on the reasons why a couple might choose to marry by license in 1941? It's always seemed to me unnecessary to do this unless there is some reason why the marriage took place in a hurry or the participants didn't want all the neighbours to know they were about to wed, as they would have done if banns had been called. My husband's parents were married by license and they certainly weren't well off so I assume there was a reason for spending this extra money. I understand this is sometimes done if the couple wishes to marry outside the parish they live in though that wasn't the case here. Admittedly, the bride may have been pregnant or thought she was pregnant but no child appeared in the family until over a year later so if that is the answer then she was either mistaken or lost the first child. I have also considered what difference the war might have made. The groom was in a reserved occupation (serving in the home guard) so wasn't about to be posted overseas but the bride was a nurse so this may have been a possibility with her though I suspect she would have told us had that been the case.

I suppose what I'm really asking about this is whether there needs to have been any reason at all or whether I'm just creating a mystery where none exists. Maybe it was perfectly normal for people to marry by license at that time? Any comments would be very welcome.

I can't answer ref the marriage by certificate but as for marriage by license I think it was usually to do with getting married in a short time scale - in 1941 the War was in full flow so maybe the man was in the forces and on leave and they decided to get married before he went back on duty. My parents did that and I think it was because that in terms of army pay etc the woman could not have an allotment of pay unless she was a wife and it was proved by producing the certificate.

Margaret

Comment

Just found this by 'googling' http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certifi...iages.htm#COL9 if you look under the heading Rest of Certificate you see it covers the point about @marriage by Certificate'

Also this thread on here in 2009 http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...by-Certificate

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 10-10-14, 14:51.

Comment

Thank you, Margaret, for locating the info about marrying by certificate. The marriage was, indeed, in a register office so that explains it perfectly - I did try googling but must have overlooked those links somehow.

You'll have seen from my OP that the reason you suggest for marrying by license isn't likely in this case but it's very interesting that you mention how a hasty marriage might have been in order to claim the married man's pay - there was I thinking it was all about romance (though I'm sure in most cases it was about that too)!

Comment

Originally posted by LynB View Post
          Thank you, Margaret, for locating the info about marrying by certificate. The marriage was, indeed, in a register office so that explains it perfectly - I did try googling but must have overlooked those links somehow.

You'll have seen from my OP that the reason you suggest for marrying by license isn't likely in this case but it's very interesting that you mention how a hasty marriage might have been in order to claim the married man's pay - there was I thinking it was all about romance (though I'm sure in most cases it was about that too)!
          I think it was also in those War days about 'seizing the day'.

Margaret

Comment

My inlaws married by special licence during WW2 and MIL told me it was so they could marry in a hurry and have one night together before FIL went overseas.

OC

Comment

Working...
            X