What happened to Ellen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Ellen?

Just wondering if any kind soul can help me find out what happened to Ellen Swinson nee Sullivan. Born 1821 in St Giles Middlesex. She became a widow at a very young age when her husband Joseph died in 1852 of pneumonia. This is her on the census

I have her with husband joseph and children on the 1851 on the 1861 she is widowed with just son Joseph who she was pregnant with when husband died. On the 1871 Joseph has married. I cannot find any trace of Ellen after 1861. There is a death for a Ellen Swinson in 1882 in Hendon Middlesex but she is not mine. I wondered if she had remarried but cannot find a marriage for her either.

I would dearly love to find her as want to know what happened to her. Felt so sad when discovered that she was pregnant when widowed and already had two young children.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 09-10-14, 13:07.
    KAREN xx

Possible?

Name: Ellen Swainson
    Registration Year: 1865
    Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district: Marylebone
    Volume: 1a
    Page: 377
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Kat, thanks so much for looking. Such a shame there is no indication of her birth year in the index.

I have tried searching now for a Ellen Swainson living in Marylebone or close by on the 1861 to see if I can eliminate this death. There are three Ellen Swainsons on the 1861, two in Middlesex and one in Surrey. Am going to follow them up on the 1871 and see if they are still all around.
      KAREN xx

Comment

Having had a look on the 1871, I can account for two of them but cannot see Ellen Swainson born 1834 in the Highlands of Scotland and is working as a servant, she could either have gone back to Scotland ( very Probable ) or married or the death could be hers, less likely as she would have died very young. Oh how I wish there was an indication of her birth year on the death index! Suppose I will only know for sure if I send off for certificate
        Last edited by Fuzzy; 09-10-14, 15:22.
        KAREN xx

Comment

Have ordered the death certificate Kat, at least I will know for sure
          KAREN xx

Comment

I had the same problem with my 3gt grfather Watts. There were 3 in his registration district - the 3rd I sent for came up trumps - typical

Let us know. I 'm out tonight but will have another 1871 census search tomorrow unless someone else finds her meantime.
            Kat

Comment

Will let you know Kat, if this death isn't her God knows when on earth she is, it is not a common name so should be easy lol!
              KAREN xx

Comment

what about this marriage
                Ellen Swanson in Whitechapel Jun quarter of 1862 1C 721 to either a Moses Longman or a James Gardyne

Comment

ignore
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-10-14, 00:26.

Comment

Have you seen this one in 1841 England census, maybe misspelling of her first name ?

Helen Swainson
                    England and Wales Census, 1841

Name: Helen Swainson
                    Event Type: Census
                    Event Date: 1841
                    Birthplace: Middlesex
                    Schedule Type: Household
                    Registration District: Stepney
                    Sub-District: Mile End Old Town, Lower
                    Parish: Stepney
                    County: Middlesex

Comment

Ignore it, it's wrong

Comment

Ellen mystery solved

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                        Possible?

Name: Ellen Swainson
                        Registration Year: 1865
                        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
                        Registration district: Marylebone
                        Volume: 1a
                        Page: 377
                        Thanks so much Kat, death certificate arrived this morning and it is my Ellen, she is down as widow of Joseph, plasterer journeyman. She died at age 41 of cancer of the uterus. So so sad, what a life she had. At least I know what happened to her though and can lay her to rest :(
                        KAREN xx

Comment

So pleased Karen, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and go for it!
                          Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                            So pleased Karen, sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and go for it!
                            Indeed Kat, sometimes as you say you just have to go for it and hope for the best!
                            KAREN xx

Comment

glad you got the right one

Comment

Thanks Val, feel sad she had very short and unhappy life but so glad I can lay her to rest as have been searching for her for years
                                KAREN xx

Comment

its a wonderful feeling when that happens, I get so excited when the right cert comes but my husband thinks I'm nuts getting excited over a Death Record

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                    its a wonderful feeling when that happens, I get so excited when the right cert comes but my husband thinks I'm nuts getting excited over a Death Record
                                    LOL Val! I know the feeling! I was literally jumping around when opened the envelope and found it was her! I feel as if I can lay her to rest.
                                    KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                                    X