Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for parents for Elizabeth Fanny Hogg

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could throw me some tips.

I have been searching for the parents of Elizabeth Fanny Hogg born 1863 in Cirencester, Gloucestershire for a while now.

I cannot remember for the life of me (I should make more notes!) where I got Samuel Hogg b. 1833 from as her father, I'm guessing maybe a user's tree on ancestry, so I cannot be certain this is correct (it looks likely that it IS incorrect).

In the 1871 census, Elizabeth is living with her grandparents, Charles and Hannah Cook, and then in 1881 she is a live-in servant.

They only had one daughter so I am presuming that Elizabeth is Frances (or Fanny)'s daughter (especially as they seem to share a name). But I cannot seem to connect Frances to anyone with the surname Hogg.

Can anyone help at all please? Maybe a fresh pair of eyes may help!

Thanks in advance

Selina
    Last edited by thelilradish; 08-10-14, 17:15.

According to GlosBMD the maiden name of Elizabeth Fanny's mother was Cooke. Looking for Hogg/Cook(e) marriages on GlosBMD there is Samuel Hogg & Mary Jane Cooke in Cirencester in 1853. Alternatively George Hogg married Eliza Cook in Gloucester in 1861.

scuda
    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

NB according to Glos BMD Elizabeth Fanny Hogg's birth was registered in Gloucester, not Cirencester.

scuda
      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Is she the same Elizabeth Fanny who married Robert Sprague in 1887? If so, the marriage is on Ancestry and she gives her father as Samuel Hogg, iron moulder

Jackie

Comment

Thank you for your help so far!

scuda - the Samuel Hogg and Mary Jane Cooke marriage seems the most plausible (seeing as I have found that her father is Samuel Hogg), however I have researched the Charles and Hannah Cook (Elizabeth Fanny's grandparents she is listed as living with in the 1871 census) and I have so far only come across one daughter which is Frances b.1847 who is listed as Fanny on one of the censuses. Which is what is puzzling me!

Night Owl - yes! The very same! That must have been where I found that her father is Samuel Hogg! Thank you! So that confirms it. Her father IS Samuel Hogg.

So who IS her mother?!

Comment

Just discovered I had somehow neglected the 1841 census and found 3 extra children for Charles and Hannah Cook that I hadn't found before.

One of them is a Jane Cook b.1832 - she may be the Mary Jane Cook that scuda found above!

Comment

I think this is Samuel and Mary Jane in 1861. She was born c1832 Cirencester so that would fit

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

In 1881 he's a foundry labourer - Elizabeth said he was an iron moulder when she married so similar occupation

Jackie

Comment

If you use the birth search on GlosBMD http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MainMenu.aspx and use Hogg as the surname and Cook as the mother's former name, there are 9 results (it returns both Cook and Cooke). Two births were in Stroud district, seven were in Gloucester. These seven were spaced so that they could all relate to one marriage, i.e. Samuel and Mary Jane.

scuda

Comment

I am at Gloucestershire Archives right now and that link has helped immensely as it gives the parish church she was baptised in! Thank you so much scuda!

Thank you too Night Owl! Really appreciate the help of both of you!

Comment

Hmm so on that link, it says that she was registered in the Office of Gloucester, St John the Baptist, but I have just looked on the parish records here at the Glocs Archives and she isn't on there! It looks like I'm probably going to need to order her birth certificate.

She's beginning to look like a very tricky one to trace!

Comment

I don't think the ref to St John The Baptist in Scudas link tells you where she was baptised, just that her birth was registered in the sub district of Gloucester which was named after the parish.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi Judith

Yes, I believe you are correct. I looked in the parish records for St John the Baptist and couldn't find her, so I looked at the link again and saw it actually doesn't mention baptisms at all - I jumped the gun!

I have ordered her birth certificate now so I'm hoping that I will be able to get the information I need there.

Comment

Working...
                        X