Access to South African Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to South African Records

Does anyone know of a site for South African Records - don't think, as far as I can tell, that Family Search do them. I am trying to find out who Adelaide Mary Foster married - think it was an Ohlsen but cannot find a suitable husband for her! She died in South Africa and I thought she must have been on a visit because her mother was born there but I now think she may have married there but have no proof whatsoever?
    The area of South Africa I would be looking at is, I think, the Cape of Good Hope and possibly a place named Gautang but not necessarily.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 07-10-14, 19:37.

Search and download records for your South African ancestors. Create your family tree. Search death indexes for free. Download images of death notices - Default

Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

Research tips and help for researching your South African family history and genealogy, and finding your missing ancestors in your family tree.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Hope you find something in the above

Edna

Comment

Have you checked our reference library -
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks All - can't believe I found exactly what I wanted! Isn't it great when that happens.

Sue

Comment

.....................now of course I can't find her marriage in UK or SA having found her death!

Sue

Comment

Maybe there was a second marriage and name had changed

Edna

Comment

I found her as Adelaide Mary Foster in South Africa in 1942 which is when she died - her husband was also listed - John Alfred HIRD - I think she had an accident age ?59 in SA and died i.e. fractured femur and pneumonia BUT I notice there were quite a few Hird/Hurds in SA - none immediately relevant but may well have been emigrated relatives of his
              Adelaide Mary Foster was b in 1869 in Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hants - I know she was a trainee Milner on one census and then, possibly on 1911 or maybe 1901 she was working for the NSPCC - I thought she had either gone to SA in connection with that or to see where her mother was born. It is only today I have found a reference to John Alfred Hird. I have found him on the Wandsworth Polling District Roll in Tooting Graveney and he is living with his wife Mary - Adelaide Mary COULD be using her second Christian name as her first name by now.
              Depending on the date of this electoral roll document (family search) her father may well still have ben alive and living in Stroud Green, Finsbury/Islington area and quite a few of the Fosters I think married in Islington - the father George Foster always signed as a witness.

Bad end to a good day and now the ironing awaits me!

Sue
              Last edited by Sue1; 08-10-14, 20:29.

Comment

i found marriages for my uncle in south africa on familysearch. are you sure you didnt look there already?

Comment

I have found his birth (but not confirmed it) and marriage but not his death.
                  He was born in 1868 in Passy, Paris, France and I found his marriage in SA thanks to a link someone sent me which I was surprised to see was basically linked to FSOrg although it didn't look like the same format.
                  I have found another HIRD on someones Tree on ancestry who was born in the same place - a Francis (Francois) HIRD born 1869. This is a private Tree so have sent message to owner.
                  I haven't found anything else on FSOrg and I can't search from ancestry as I do not have a worldwide membership.
                  I hadn't realise FSOrg DID South Africa but I now know it does - I don't think it does France - or as far as I can tell it doesn't.

I also tried the original South African site I was sent - ancestry with a za on the end I think (have saved it somewhere) but I can't get into deaths and I am thinking it could have been as late (or later) than 1960.
                  Last edited by Sue1; 13-10-14, 14:41.

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ench-Genealogy Check this thread out for help with French research as we now have two people helping with it

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list Here is a list of all records held by Familysearch, to find French records just scroll down in alphabetical order and check each one, where it says browse records they are the records that have not yet been transcribed so you can search the books but its a bit long winded if you even find the right book.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                      X