Conflicting Passenger Lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicting Passenger Lists

Columbia left Glasgow for New York via Londonderry on 11th March 1905.
    She shows as arriving in New York on 25th March 1905.
    The passenger lists attached to the departure and arrival are completely different.
    Can anyone shed a light on this discrepancy please?

The people I am researching are Charles Bonning and his wife who appear on the Glasgow manifest.
    The NY manifest has a Mr & Mrs Browning (which I can accept is possibly a mistake at the time) and the age is about right, but none of the other names match at all.

I've encountered something similar a couple of times. The passenger list in the index did not match the image shown........an editorial glitch? I lodged a query but to the best of my knowledge, never had a reply

Beverley

Comment

Did it really take 14days to get from Glasgow to NY IN 1905? It seems quite long and maybe there is some error with the dates and the lists are the passengers in two different voyages? Just a thought! I don't know much about it.
      Anne

Comment

The timing looks right Columbia's next voyage to NY was advertised as leaving Glasgow 8th April

Was going to ask if you have looked for them on the Ellis Island site Harry - but in yet another "improvement" of a good old site see they have updated - and quote - "We have uploaded arrival records for Ellis Island/Port of New York for the years 1925 through 1957. About 2/3 of those records are available now, with the final installment near the end of the year."

So not much use at the moment for a 1905 arrival unfortunately1!

Comment

Sorry duplicate post for some reason??
          Last edited by SueNSW; 05-10-14, 23:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
            Did it really take 14days to get from Glasgow to NY IN 1905? It seems quite long and maybe there is some error with the dates and the lists are the passengers in two different voyages? Just a thought! I don't know much about it.
            Anne
            Remember she stopped off in Londonderry on the way which would add to the time from Glasgow and these ships were pretty slow in those days!

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
              The timing looks right Columbia's next voyage to NY was advertised as leaving Glasgow 8th April

Was going to ask if you have looked for them on the Ellis Island site Harry - but in yet another "improvement" of a good old site see they have updated - and quote - "We have uploaded arrival records for Ellis Island/Port of New York for the years 1925 through 1957. About 2/3 of those records are available now, with the final installment near the end of the year."

So not much use at the moment for a 1905 arrival unfortunately1!
              Yes that is where I get the conflicting information. The Ellis Island records confirm the name of the ship, the same Master and departures date from both Glasgow and Londonderry. Another anomaly on the Ellis Island site is that if you click on the link to information on the ship it takes you to a "Columbia" built many years later

Comment

Have now researched the "Columbia" and found records here
                http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=colu2
                This shows The Culumbia (2) was built for the Anchor Line by D & W Henderson Ltd, of Glasgow, to replace the City of Rome. She had 3 funnels, 2 masts; twin screw propulsion, service speed 16 knots; accommodation for 345 1st-, 218 2nd-, and 740 3rd-class passengers.

So she either sailed with a less than full complement of passengers or there are many pages missing from both the Glasgow end and the NY end.

However I do find the Elllis Island Site frustrating as you do not seem to be able to report anomalies for them to look at.

Comment

I don't like the Ellis Island site. I got fed up with the number of times that the link to an entry takes you to an image where the person isn't shown. Even checking the other pages for that particular sailing don't have the said person at all. I have also been taken to an image of a list for a totally different ship.

Comment

Working...
                  X