Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relationship Conundrum: Strict v Common Practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship Conundrum: Strict v Common Practice?

I wonder if someone could give some advice arising out of Will and census records relating to some educated folks in the 1850s? The relationships in question (names all changed) are set out below with my questions after (not sure how this will physically look on the screen: am using indents!)...

Adam SMITH

Has 2 sons:
    Brian SMITH and Colin SMITH

They each have a daughter:
    Dierdre SMITH and Emma SMITH

Emma has a daughter Florence BROWN who lives with Dierdre SMITH (now JONES, her married name) for many years.

By my (official) reckoning Florence is the 1st Cousin Once Removed from Dierdre but she is actually described as Dierdre's Niece. Is this something that might be used or would it be deemed an unusual way to describe Florence's relationship with Dierdre?

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Bertie; 05-10-14, 10:04.

Bertie

Yes, very common in my experience for relationships to be simplified on official documents.

I have the Will of a maiden aunt (there you are, she is actually my great great aunt, lol, but we called her auntie). In it she names about 20 "nephews and nieces" but the relationships are actually more complicated than that, including me and my brother, who were of course, her great great niece and nephew.

Another point to remember is that C of E marriage makes a couple into "one flesh" and therefore the wife's nephews become the husband's nephews too and her sisters become his sisters. I've been caught out by this in the past.

OC

Comment

Hi Bertie

I have come across this my self, you are correct in how you worked out the relationship, but others just think of them as relative.

Comment

Thanks both for your advice: I wondered whether the will should (more accurately) have said "to Florence BROWN the daughter of my cousin Emma BROWN..." but I agree that, in practice, 'Niece' just makes it simpler!

Comment

Given that you are asking about the 1850s I wonder why you feel it necessary not to use their real names?

Comment

Another point I've just remembered: some solicitors used to charge by the word for wills, lol, so much cheaper to put niece than "the daughter of my first cousin"!

OC

Comment

Working...
            X