Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone decipher this police language for me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone decipher this police language for me please?

Hi

I have found that one of my ancestor's was a policeman back in the mid 1800s. I have found the police records but I was wondering if anyone could decipher what this all meant that was recorded under Entry/Rank please?

Const. 2nd cl. 1843 Feb 22; 1st cl. 1843 Aug 1; 1st cl. 1855 Jul 1; Rdcd. 2nd cl. 1858 May 7; 1st cl. 1861 May 1

He was superannuated on 8th July 1870 but I have found that that means retired in today's language. But I would love to know what the above means if anyone knows please?

Thanks in advance,

Selina

Was this in Canada by any chance?

If so, I'd say it means Constable 2nd class and 1st class. The Rdcd. probably means reduced in rank meaning he was demoted for some reason in 1858.

It looks like he was promoted after only 6 months, then maybe a move to another station and/or city to a post of the same rank, then a demotion and then finally a return to 1st class rank.

Comment

I think Galloway Lass has it exactly right, except that it need not be in Canada.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

A-ha! Thank you very much!

It was in Wiltshire, England

I wonder why he was demoted? There were no other comments to suggest any naughty behaviour, but I was wondering if there were may be other documents that I could look at. This information was just from a collated folder at the history centre, so I am hoping that there may be some originals I can look at?

Thanks again!
        Last edited by thelilradish; 04-10-14, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
        X