Groom Occupation Pensioner in Army?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groom Occupation Pensioner in Army?

I am looking for George Williams, b. Duston Northamptonshire in 1862. He married in 1885 at St. James Church Northampton to Mary Ann Andrews, he was then 23 and she was 18. His occupation is down as pensioner in army. I know the British Army were in Afghanistan in 1878 but he would then have been only 16. I have had a look on Ancestry to see if I can find him as a pensioner from the army. There are roll calls but nothing to give me a definite tag on this person.
    Would anyone know where I should be looking and point me in the right direction, there must be something about him somewhere - but where?
    Vonny

there are two records of a George Williams in 1882 on the British Army service records 1760 -1915

one says born 1863 in Ringstead Thrapston Northampton the other just Northampton

Comment

ooh the first one says Groom

have pmd you
      Last edited by Guest; 03-10-14, 20:35.

Comment

Ringstead is a fair way from Northampton,
        Duston was a village on the town outskirts ( now just part of the town) And St James, again, part of the town of Northampton

Does he appear in 1881 census?
        Jess

Comment

I do have a George Williams on the 1881 age 21 farm labourer, but in a different village called Ayntho? I couldn't really make out the word. The head of house is Edward Williams labourer, and from the marriage his father is also named as Edward a farm labourer, but I should imagine it is a common enough name and occupation so it might be a coincidence. On the 1891 census I have him with his wife and place of birth is listed as Duston Northamptonshire.
          Vonny

Comment

Aynho - pronounced Hay-Know ...without the 'H' sound

Aynho is even further in the other direction - I'd have said unlikely

Strange that by 1891 he is a foreman in a shoe factory. Yes, loads of shoe manufacture in Northants then, but a foreman?

( Melbourne Road no long exists)
            Last edited by Jessbowbag; 04-10-14, 07:48.
            Jess

Comment

in 1901 he is the manager, and moved to Spencer Bridge Road.

What evidence do you have that the marriage cert is the right one? Have you cross referenced his wifes maiden name with a birth cert of one of the children?
              Jess

Comment

The start of all this was looking for Edward Williams b. Kettering 1896 - I have sent for his birth certificate which should arrive at the end of next week. On the 1901 the son Edward is five years old, I checked the qtr. birth was registered and it seems to fit in with what is known about his birthday. (He died in 1962 with his year of birth as abt.1897) I have looked into Mary Ann's family. Her father was Robert Andrews and he just happened to be a "boot closer" as was his wife Elizabeth. Robert Andrews died in 1901 and I have his probate. So, it could be that his father-in-law might have helped him along the way and secured him a job and he just went up the ladder? By 1911 George is a traveller - I imagine that to mean a travelling salesman as the rest of the family are still working in shoes and boots and young Edward now 15 is a factory boy. As to the evidence of the marriage between George and Mary Ann, I have a print-out from Freereg, file no. 36030, also on freeBMD 1855 Northampton marriage for Mar.qtr. 3b 53 (they married on the 4th January 1885).
                Vonny

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

Thanks Val, got it!
                    Vonny

Comment

Working...
                    X