Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a newbie?

I am wondering if anyone can help.

My mother is trying to find out any information on her father, who left when she was 10 years old ( some 50 years ago now).

She recently had to get a copy of her birth certificate, which gave his Army service records number. We managed to find out he was a POW, and served for the Cameronians. I have been in touch with them via their website, to no avail. The key bit of information we need is his DOB.
    He has a name which is very common in the area where he was born and undoubtedly returned to on his divorce.

Can anyone suggest how on earth I get this information. I know it would mean the world to my mother if she could have some sort of knowledge of his life and have some closure on what happened to him

Any help appreciated.

Hello Cutecub and welcome to FTF.

His age (if he told the truth!) and his father's name will be on his marriage certificate, along with other details which may help to identify him.

OC

Comment

Do you know whether or not your grandfather is deceased? A next of kin can apply for his Army service records which give lots of personal details such as dob etc.

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

scroll down to find which form would apply to your needs.
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-10-14, 07:36.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

If you have already tried the above then as OC says the marriage cert would be the next step to try.
        You should be able to find your grandparents marriage info here:

Apply for the cert here:
        http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp ...you need to register first

Another way forward would be to find their divorce papers.
        Not sure about that route. Perhaps someone else here knows how to do that.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-10-14, 08:20.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I don't think the divorce papers would have been kept as very few were kept after WW2. You might be able to get a copy of the decree nisi, but that won't give any personal details, it's just a sheet of paper confirming that a divorce is to be granted within six weeks of issue.

OC

Comment

There is an outside chance that this person may still be alive so we cant post detail here. An option is to send me a personal message with the detail you know and we'll see if we can make progress. Click on my name and you'll be able to send me a personal message.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info. It is all a bit of a puzzle. We dont know if he is deceased, although I assume he is :-(
              I tried looking for divorce papers, but again couldn't find anything. My mother thinks they got divorced in the mid 50's.
              I'll try the marriage certificate and drop you a PM Alanc.
              Again, thanks all for the help, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                There is an outside chance that this person may still be alive so we cant post detail here. An option is to send me a personal message with the detail you know and we'll see if we can make progress. Click on my name and you'll be able to send me a personal message.
                AlanC Pipe up for help if you need any.
                Margaret

Comment

Piped up with a PM Margaret.

Comment

Thanks AlanC have replied and asked some questions - happy to pose them direct to cutecube79 by PM if you wish me to.
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                      Thanks AlanC have replied and asked some questions - happy to pose them direct to cutecube79 by PM if you wish me to.
                      Margaret
                      That's fine Margaret ....go ahead.

Comment

Working...
                      X