Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Old Question - FMP or Ancestry?

Hi

I have just returned to genealogy after 6 years (I had a child and did other things). I was always an ancestry.co.uk girl but see that FMP have a half price deal on at the moment, so £49.75 for a years subscription. I have had a quick look through their record list and can't see anything much that I would need over ancestry and am wondering whether to take this opportunity for a cheap subscription or, in effect, save the money and put it towards an ancestry one?

My main research areas are: London / Surrey / Manchester / Scotland

Can anyone advise whether ancestry or FMP would be better for me?

Thanks, and I look forward to 'meeting' you all again
    :D Charney Jo

Hi and welcome back.

A large portion of my research covers Scotland & as a result I use Ancestry which has Scottish 1841-1901 census records (Transcriptions).
    As far as I am aware FMP has little info re Scotland.

Matt
    My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

FMP also has the Scottish census record transcripts, but ScotlandsPeople have the originals and the BMDs. Ancestry wins hands-down for London, Surrey and Manchester, but if you need Westminster parish records then FMP has them (although Ancestry has some BTs).
      Rick

Comment

Having used both Ancestry and FMP for Scotland census records I strongly prefer FMP for 2 main reasons:

- Ancestry transcriptions are far inferior (some are truly appalling!) making searching much more difficult
        - FMP transcriptions have more information for example full address (Ancestry does not always have) and status of household members, e.g. Widowed etc (which Ancestry does not have)

If all else is equal and you have a fair bit of Scotland research to do this might be worth considering

Comment

Thanks all. Scotland is only a small part of my search area and it's good to know how they are covered. I think I will 'save' the money and stick with ancestry. Any advice on how to get special deals? FMP just emailed me this one but I can't remember anything similar from ancestry?

Comment

I find Ancestry easier to search and drill down. But FMP has the benefit of the british newspaper archive which I find invaluable. Just check to see which package It is on.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Hmmm... I seem to remember looking at the Gale archives (or something like that) last time with my library card number. Is that not available now, or is the British Newspaper Archive much better?

Thank you.

Comment

Gale newspaper collections are still available via local libraries (using library PIN no) - British Newspaper Archive is included in FMP subscription or as a stand alone subscription. Over recent months there have been a number of offers of a one month subscription for £1 - on both FMP and the British Newspaper archive websites - so might be best to sign up to one of those if you want to subscribe.
                Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. So, are they different archives? Sorry, I am being lazy, off to google...

Comment

Yes Jo, they are different archives. There may be some overlap but basically they are different resources.
                    Here's a link to the British Newspaper Archives - you can check coverage by using the Browse by newspaper title and or place of publication. The content of the British Newspaper Archive is the same as the collection on Findmypast.
                    Whether you are a researcher, historian or you simply want to know more about Britain's history, take this fantastic opportunity to search The British Newspaper Archive - a vast treasure trove of historical newspapers from your own home.

I thought I saw a £1 for one month subscription to Findmypast which expires today - but I can't find it at the moment. They seem to pop up from time to time so probably worth waiting for the next one. Also check your local library, some offer access to Findmypast and the British Newspaper Archives within the library.
                    Elaine

Comment

It was probably this one I was thinking of - one month sub to FMP for £5.
                      If you do opt for it make sure you untick the auto renew or else FMP will charge you for subsequent months!

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I think I might go for that and see how much I get to use it over the next month and see if there is anything new for me.

Thanks so much!

Comment

Jo, as I said, remember to untick the autorenew.
                          Searching Findmypast is very different to Ancestry, so if you need any help then just ask and someone will come to your rescue.
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks again. It seems very different and I am struggling to find anything at the moment! (Too much of an ancestry girl?)

Comment

Originally posted by Charney Jo View Post
                              Thanks again. It seems very different and I am struggling to find anything at the moment! (Too much of an ancestry girl?)
                              You might find these handy:

Caroline
                              Caroline's Family History Pages
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Charney they changed the site recently and a lot of us had a lot of trouble finding anything after that, I am only just managing to find anything myself now, if you need help somebody will .

Comment

Thanks all. I remember now how helpful you all are. It's great to be back :o

Comment

I just came across this offer - sign up before 31st October:

£5 for a month - don't forget to read the Ts and Cs at the bottom of the page (and the main ones) and to untick the auto renew - you need to do that straight away so as not to get caught out as they renew the payment before the day.

"If you do not cancel the continuous membership within five days of the expiry date, we will automatically renew your subscription and will take the next payment two to three days before your current subscription ends. You must opt out of the continuous membership before the expiry date if you do not want your subscription to automatically renew, and we cannot provide refunds for a continuous membership subscription which has been renewed in this way."

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!
                                    Caroline
                                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Something to watch out for with FMP monthly subscriptions that caught me out, FMP take their payment 2 or 3 days BEFORE the due date, and the due date is exactly 30 days, not calendar monthly.
                                      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                                      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                                      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                                      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

FMP have just moved the goalposts in their favour. An annual membership now brings you lots of extra goodies. Benefits include free Imperial War Museum membership, a free 12 month subscription to the Lives of the First World War website, monthly webinars, and discounted magazine subscriptions - you can find out more at http://www.findmypast.co.uk/first
                                        This may not make FMP better for everyone but it is a significant improvement in their offering.
                                        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                                        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X