No announcement yet.

John Tomlinson m Margret Tomlinson - m 1.9.1656 St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Tomlinson m Margret Tomlinson - m 1.9.1656 St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn

I wonder if anyone could help me to make sense of this marriage.
    First of all, I am pretty sure Margret was a widow but no idea which Tomlinson (or Tamlinson) she had been married to. The document is the original handwritten record made at the time of the marriage.

The Priest has written (and I can't read it all):
    John Tomlinson of Accrington in the Parish of Whaley Clothier and Margaret Tamlinson of Blackburn ?? having fully certified ? publication of their intended marriage were solemnly married according to the ?tenure? of an Act of Parliament having Oath made ? before me ............[there is more but I cannot read it]

My first observation on what is written is that whether the name is Tomlinson or Tamlinson they both look exactly the same to me. However, if she is a widow that doesn't matter I assume as long as she is not closely enough related to groom to break the Laws of Consanguinity (did they exist that far back?)

I am intrigued by this and would dearly love to know what it is all about. Have never added one of these links before of FTF so hope it is ok - if not, I got it from Lancashire England, Baptisms, Marriages Burials 1538-1812.
    The Groom is John Tomlinson and the bride Margret Tamlinson - the event date is 1.9.1656 at St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancs:

http//interactive.ancestry.co.uk/2478/42561_339487_0001

I have obviously done something wrong because the link should have turned blue!

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 29-09-14, 16:53.

The wording of this marriage entry is different because it took place during the "Commonwealth" period, between the reigns of Charles 1 and Charles 2, when the authority of the church was replaced by parliament.
    Lets see if I can make the link work:
    Last edited by JudithM; 29-09-14, 17:01.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I've had look to see who she might have been previously married to on LAN-OPC but nothing obvious.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        The wording of this marriage entry is different because it took place during the "Commonwealth" period, between the reigns of Charles 1 and Charles 2, when the authority of the church was replaced by parliament.
        Lets see if I can make the link work:
        http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/24...l=ReturnRecord
        Many thanks Judith, It crossed my mind that it might be Cromwellian times (shows how good my history is).
        I thought also it was suspected she might be breaching the laws of consanguinity but apparently not.

Sue

Comment

Thanks OC. I think it may have been he who was previously married - I found something after I posted that suggested a Lettice Ward might have been his first wife - it was on someone elses Tree so need to check it - I had thought because it said widow it meant his new wife had been previously married but possibly not. However, it did say on the actual entry for the marriage to Magret Tamlinson that HE was a "husbandman" which suggests a previous marriage - to me anyway.

Sue

Sue

Comment

Sue

No, on LANOPC it definitely says that SHE was a widow.

A husbandman is a farmer, nothing to do with marriage.

OC

Comment

Familysearch has the marriage and the couple are named as Tumlinson, I checked the burials for around the time same parish and there is a burial for a John Tumlinson of Torrisholm buried 12 June 1654 no other information in the LPR records just wondered if this was the first husband

Edna

sorry Torrisholm is not local it is near Morcombe
              Last edited by clematised; 29-09-14, 23:51.

Comment

Thanks to all for responses - sorry link didn't work - am about to add another - what am I doing wrong?

Have found another marriage for John Tomlinson, husbandman of Goosenargle? to Lettice Ward of Chipping, Lancashire on 18th May 1656.
                The marriage to Margret Tamlinson was on 1 September 1656 at St. Mary the Virgin, Blackburn.
                Am going to try and find a death date for both ladies and a previous marriage for Margaret.
                Genuki have never heard of "Goosenargle" - neither have I although I am sure there is a similarly named place i.e. Goosenagh?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/24...276446-00395/3 = Return Record

Sue
                Above is Link to Lettice Ward marriage:

Comment

I read the image as Goosnargh.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

You are right Judith - it IS Goosnargh - I see it is not actually the marriage, just the Banns, unless I am missing something.
                    Been trying to find this marriage on FSOrg but it doesn't appear - at least I can't find it.
                    Will now look at Lancs OPC

Sue

Lancs OPC only goes back to 1771 for Chipping and John Tomlinson was born 1627 .......don't think I will be able to find him
                    Last edited by Sue1; 30-09-14, 10:30.

Comment

I am now pretty sure that the wife of John Tomlinson was Lettice Ward - all very odd - her father was Law. Ward b 1605 Bolton i.e. Lawrence Ward who may or may not have been connected with some Dissenters who left England and went to America.
                      However, "pretty sure" is not "sure" or "proved"..................

Sue

Comment

Sue

Seems like two different men to me - clothier and husbandman are miles apart. Also, Goosnargh would not come under the Blackburn diocese (I don't think!).

OC

Comment

Correction to my post above - the church at Goosnargh IS in the modern day diocese of Blackburn! However, the modern day diocese of Blackburn was only created in the 1900s and I can't find out what it covered before that.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            Correction to my post above - the church at Goosnargh IS in the modern day diocese of Blackburn! However, the modern day diocese of Blackburn was only created in the 1900s and I can't find out what it covered before that.

OC
                            Thanks OC. The two marriages are odd - they are both on the same date and to the same person (to my mind anyway) - can't make it out at all. Must admit I hadn't noticed the occupation was different. However, the name Tomlinson seems very common in the area around that time.
                            Will look at it all again later today (now 1.30am!) as brain has gone to sleep!

Sue

Comment

"A husbandman in England in the medieval and early modern period was a free tenant farmer or small landowner. The social status of a husbandman was below that of a yeoman. The meaning of "husband" in this term is "master of house" rather than "married man" (Info: Wikki)

I have been looking at other Trees! - some people (most) have Margret, a couple have Lettice (I am not the only one who is bewildered it would seem). One thing I have noticed is that what I thought was the marriage of Margret to John Tomlinson is, I think, only the publication of Banns not the actual marriage but need to double check that. I will have to have a good look at the whole thing again - I am torn between them being the same person (well it would make life easier) or, as is probably the case, two separate people and, as you say - and I hadn't noticed, the husband's occupations are quite different. Sue

Comment

Sue

On LAN-OPC, it is a marriage which is being recorded on 1 Sept 1656 between John and Margaret.

Not sure what you mean when you say both marriages are on the same day? You have given a date in May for the John/Lettice marriage.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. I agree with you! I too am not sure what I meant when I said both marriages were on the same day!!!! Must be getting senile ................. Lettice will become Margret with appropriate change in dates.

Sue

Comment

LOL, come and join me in bewilderment!

Have you looked for wills? Both were in an occupation which would suggest a will. Also tenancy agrements for the husbandman, these can be utter goldmines of information as most Lancashire property was left on "three lives" basis and the three lives were almost always close relatives (including wives!)

OC

Comment

Do you know I have never looked for Wills - am on my first month of first full membership (not foreign parts) of anc.co.
                                      I would enjoy them because I'm quite nosey!
                                      Wonder if they do Wills up to 1942 - off to have a look but will also check the Tomlinsons.
                                      Magret, by the way, was a widow and as far as I can make out she appears to have been a Tomlinson when she married the next Tomlinson - now I can see why I am confused! I am beginning to wonder who is who.

Sue (I think)

Comment

This is what the transcription says on Lanc.opc
                                        Marriage: 1 Sep 1656 St Mary the Virgin, Blackburn, Lancashire, England
                                        John Tomlinson - Clothier, Accrington
                                        Margaret Tomlinson, Widdow - Blackborn
                                        Married by Baanns by: Ran: Sharples
                                        Register: Marriages 1653 - 1679, Page 16, Entry 1
                                        Source: LDS Film 1278778
                                        Vonny

Comment

Working...
                                        X