Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would have happened to the children

Hi

I have found a newspaper article on my 4x great grandmother who was imprisoned for 1 year for giving birth to her third bastard child. What would have happened to her children during this time? Whatever it was it didn't stop her because she had another one a year later!
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

can you give the names?? maybe they were put in a workhouse

Comment

Depends on age & date, possibilities went in with her, workhouse or relatives.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi

This was in 1827. Mary Osborne gave birth to a male child but she had already had Harriett, Georgiana and Jane(who had died by this point). It was in Rattlesden in Suffolk
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

If there was a known father the poor law authorities would have made him take the child/children. Babe in arms would have stayed with her, for nursing.

OC

Comment

Suffolk records office seem to have a large amount of parish material for Rattlesden - if she was a drain on the parish funds, which seems likely, she will almost certainly get a mention in there somewhere.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
            X