QUICK ADVICE needed - purchase of Ethernet Cable for new TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUICK ADVICE needed - purchase of Ethernet Cable for new TV

Have just had installed a new small (24") digi TV and told need 2 ethernet Cat 5 leads to connect from router to new ethernet socket in study and from new ethernet socket to TV in living room.

1 x 2 metre for TV end and no more than 1 metre and not under 59cm in study.

The existing ethernet cable from my router is a yellow headed one.

Have searched Amazon and already bewildered by the different coloured heads, etc.

Before I buy, just running it by any wise folk reading this...many thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...cable+Cat+5+2m
    Liz

Ignore the colours. The ethernet plug is an RJ45, Cat.5 is a cable type and should be mentioned in the specification either directly or as 'compatible with Cat.5. I would just choose according to the cable length that you require and chooose a colour to match your decoration (I picked a blue cable and the 'boss' made me paint it white because it stood out too much)

David

Comment

As David has said, ignore the colour. I use several different colours at home to identify different segments of the network, but I have a complicated setup with multiple routers.

Also don't go for the cheapest. Many of the very low cost ones use poor quality cable and connectors and they may struggle to work at the speeds required for CAT5, and the lilttle locking tab on the connecter just breaks off and the plug can fall out of the socket. I always recommend CAT5e (the next step up) as they tend to be more reliable.

As an example these seem OK, and they are specifying that the cable is pure copper which is better. They are still very reasonable priced. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-5E-NET...item417d94fd28
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thank you David and Pete - I'm learning.

Pete - I don't use e-bay but checking out the CAT5e on Amazon, this looks right - value yours and David's opinion:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2m-Professio...pper+Cat+5e+2m

Price £4.35. They also do 1 metre same model for a bit less.

I currently have a slow internet connection but fast broadband is on its way here soon so will sign up for that.

Will these cables be okay for both current speed and new speed?
        Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 24-09-14, 16:34.
        Liz

Comment

They look OK. The only thing I would mention is the locking tab. It will be fine whilst plugged in, but be careful when it is unplugged as it is easy to catch it, bend it backwards and break it off. Some leads have a protective boot over the tab.

These leads will be fine with superfast broadband.
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks, Pete - is there any other make you can recommend?
            Liz

Comment

How about this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-CAT6...pper+Cat+5e+2m

It is CAT6a, but it is fully backward compatible to CAT5 and has a higher performance. It also has a protector over the locking tab. And it is cheaper!
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks, Pete - as long as it is okay with my slow internet connection now. Will go for that one. Many, many thanks.
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X