Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find a Baptism for Evan Rees, 1811.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find a Baptism for Evan Rees, 1811.

On the 1851 Census for Wales, my Great/Great/Grandfather, Evan Rees gives his age as 40yrs.

This should give him a DOB of (Approx) 1811... However, I am unable to find a Birth or Baptism for him:-(

His son, (also Evan Rees) was Baptised in the Wesleyan Tabernacle Chapel in Tontine Street Swansea in December 1836, - and so it's quite likely that his father was also a Chapel Baptism, - but I can't see one for him...

This is the 1851 Census Entry for him:

Registration district: Swansea
    Sub-registration district: Llandilo
    ED, institution, or vessel: 1d
    Piece: 2465
    Folio: 299
    Page Number: 54
    Household schedule number: 196
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Evan Rees 40
    Anne Rees 39
    William Rees 19
    Anne Rees 17
    Evan Rees 14
    Elizabeth Rees 11
    David Rees 9
    John Rees 6
    Thomas Rees 4
    Daniel Rees 2

Can anyone on here see a Baptism for Evan Rees, Born (Approx) 1811?

Cheers, Holly.

I've had no joy with finding a definate Baptism for Evan Rees, (1811 - 1876).

I've found a Death for him in 1876, and his first Marriage, to Anne Williams in 1830. On the Glamorgan Marriage Index pre-1837 Transcription it says, (under Notes) Personal details in the Register, after Banns. Witnesses named. I've found the Banns, but can't see any notes... Can anyone on here see them please?

Holly.Glamorgan Burials Transcription.doc

Comment

I think the "notes" is a reference to the details on the actual marriage register, which has been transcribed and indexed. The register would say the marriage was after banns (as opposed to by licence) and would also have the names of the two or more witnesses.
      Banns books do not record witnesses - they have the names and parishes of the parties to be married and the three dates on which the banns were called. Sometimes the vicar added a margin note of when/where the marriage ceremony was conducted (or occasionally, not!)
      So, you need to see the full transcription, or image of the marriage register page, I think.
      As the marriage was pre 1837, the entry won't name fathers or give a specific age for the groom.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 13-01-17, 15:49.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Have you got them on 1841 Census, if not here they are

Llangafelach Swansea

Evan 25 Copperman
        Ann 25
        Wm 10
        Anne 7
        Evan 5
        Elizabeth 1

Evan born 1836 is on FMP so going to see if I can find anything in that area for Evan snr.

I agree with Janet about the marriage.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Don't know the area at all but there are a couple on Family search for 1811 Glamorganshire

Also one on FMP that is a Methodist Chapel in Merthyr Tidfil Glamorganshire. Parents Morgan and Mary.

If you need any more details let me know.
          Lin

Comment

Many thanks for looking, Janet and Lin. Much appreciated.

If the family followed the 'Welsh Naming Pattern', - then the eldest son, William, would have been named after Evan Rees' Father. The only Baptism that I can see for a Father William Rees with son Evan, is on Family Search, with parents William and Lina Rees. However, it's in Neath, - rather than Llangyfelach, and doesn't give the Father's Occupation:

First name(s) EVAN
            Last name REES
            Birth year 1811
            Birth day 9
            Birth month Oct
            Baptism year 1811
            Baptism day 27
            Baptism month Oct
            Baptism place PYLE & KENFIG
            Father's first name(s) William
            Mother's first name(s) Lina
            County Glamorganshire
            Country Wales
            Record set Glamorgan Baptisms

The reason that this might be a likely one, is that Evan Rees's Grandson, George Rees, named one of his daughter's Lena Rees. (She's on the 1911 Census).
            Anne Rees, (Née Williams) Died in 1853, and Evan Rees Married for the second time Mary Lloyd in 1861. She must have been a Widow, because there are quite a few Lloyd children with them on the 1861 and '71 Census. I've looked, but I can't see a Parish Record Copy of this Marriage, (which might give Father's Occupation). Evan Rees is consistantly a 'Copperman' on the Censuses, and so I would expect his Father to have also been one.

Holly.

Comment

That was one of the baptisms I saw but so hard to get back without occupations to go on.

Good luck
              Lin

Comment

The United Kingdom Census of 1851 recorded the people residing in every household on the night of 30 March 1851, and requested "age at last birthday". Aged 40, he could have been born any time from 31 March 1810 to 30 March 1811.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well... I gave in and ordered that Marriage Cert between Evan Rees and Mary Lloyd, - BUT, - it is obviously for the wrong Evan Rees:-(
                  This one is a 30yr old Batchelor, Occupation: Moulder, Father William Rees, Engineer(!)

And so it looks like the Evan Rees that I am looking for didn't remarry after his wife Anne Died. Back to square one...

Holly:-(

Comment

I will try and attach the Cert here.

HollyReesLloydMarCert1861.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                      That was one of the baptisms I saw but so hard to get back without occupations to go on.
                      Good luck
                      The Evan Rees, Born 1810/'11, whose Baptism I am looking for was a Copperman, and most of his family seem to have worked in the Copper and Tin Industries. Further back, - I would imagine that they worked on the land. It is quite likely that Evan Rees' Father moved to Llangyfelach to work in the Copper Industry, but came from further afield.

Holly.

Comment

Three years on, - and still looking for this Baptism...:-(

Holly

Comment

Working...
                        X