Miracle birth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle birth?

Searching for a marriage of a twig in my tree on https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ I found Marion Hoey married Henry McConnell in Belfast on 18 July 1904. I then find them in the 1911 Census of Ireland, living at 27Banbury Street, Victoria Ward, Knockbreda Parish, Belfast East.

McConnell Henry 26 Male Head of Family, Presbyterian, born CoAntrim, Engine Fitter at Works. Married - - - -
    McConnell Marion 25 Female Wife, Presbyterian, born Scotland, no occupation recorded. Married for 7 years with 2 children born, 1 child living
    McConnell Marion 6 Female Daughter, Presbyterian, born Co Down

I then find the daughter Marion’s birth on 07 Jul 1904 in Belfast – ie 11 days before her parents married. Family search gives her name as Marion D L McConnell, registered Jul-Sep 1904 Belfast, volume 1 page 438.
    So far, so straightforward.

The next task was to see if I could find the child who had died before the 1911 census. Using the same website, there is only one other McConnell child born between 1900 and 1911 with mother’s maiden name of Hoey - namely William McConnell.

But here’s where the headache starts – his DOB is given as 26 September 1904 – ie just two and a half months after Marion Hoey’s birth. I initially thought could 1904 be a transcription error? But a crosscheck with familysearch finds a William Hoey M’Connell whose birth was registered in Belfast in Oct-Dec 1904, volume 1 page 172. (Middle names are not recorded on the geni.nidirect.gov.uk site). I also checked to see if there might be another McConnell-Hoey marriage in the same timeframe that could have produced William McConnell but didn’t find anything.

I know the only way to resolve this would be to purchase the two birth certificates but at the moment I can’t justify the expense for what are just twigs in my tree.

So I was wondering if anyone could come up with a logical explanation that would account for what seems to be two separate births to the same mother within two and a half months?

Or have I gone wrong somewhere along the trail - in which case, just tell me and I’ll feel like an eejit!

Thanks
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 22-09-14, 16:22.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)
Working...
X