Lewis, Arthur E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis, Arthur E

According to Dolgellau War Memorial Arthur was killed in action on 28th September 1915 near Loos ...
    This site is dedicated to those men and women who fell fighting for their country. Recorded here are various war memorials within a variety of counties including main sections for Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and Norfolk. There are also other counties such as Hertfordshire, Essex, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Yorkshire and even the Channel Islands (although provied with individual links they appear under the banner 'Other Counties'). Where possible photographs have been taken of the memorials, details of the men included and their photographs as far as possible. The war memorials and rolls of honour cover a variety of regiments, airfields and air bases as well as the memorials and cemeteries in the countries overseas where the men fell.

Can anyone please find his military record etc?
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

The date on the memorial is incorrect.

LEWIS, A E Second Lieutenant 28/09/1917 King's Shropshire Light Infantry, United Kingdom Grave Ref XX. F. 8. - LOOS BRITISH CEMETERY

wgc.jpg

mmm too small - this is the page:

Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-09-14, 16:56.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thanks once again Katarzyna ... I was going to email Dolgellau about the date error but their email address is out of date!

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
        thanks once again Katarzyna ... I was going to email Dolgellau about the date error but their email address is out of date!
        Typical lol!
        I cannot find any service records for him :(
        Perhaps someone else will have better luck.
        Kat

Comment

I also haven't been able to find him on any census after 1881 when he was 9.
          I thought this might be him in Corris, Dolgelly but he's a quarryman which didn't sit right with his father's profession and that of his brothers.

Edward Lewis 29 b 1872 Corris, Dolgelly Merionethshire, Wales quarryman
          Elizabeth Lewis 31
          Owen Edward Lewis 3
          Kat

Comment

just found him on 1891 census for Shuttington, Warwicks as Agricultural student
            Name: Arthur Lewis
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
            Relation: Boarder
            Where born: Dolgelley, Merionethshire, Wales
            Civil Parish: Shuttington
            Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew
            Town: Shuttington
            County/Island: Warwickshire
            Registration district: Tamworth
            Sub-registration district: Tamworth
            ED, institution, or vessel: 15
            Piece: 2209
            Folio: 76
            Page Number: 13
            Kat

Comment

You will only find his service record at the NA as he was an Officer - I'll have a look to see if I can find a reference later - but in the meantime the War Diary for the 1st Bn KSLI for 28th September 1917 confirms they were in the trenches north of Lens - "A Company relieve D Company in the front line - 2 Lt A E Lewis killed in action about 11pm"

He was originally buried in the Corkscrew Cemetery Loos-en-Cohelle and re-interred in his current resting place in July 1920
              Last edited by SueNSW; 22-09-14, 03:28.

Comment

Hhhmmm - could be a case of mistaken identity by the memorial researchers here - it looks as though the 2nd Lt A E Lewis who was KIA on 28/9/1917 was ARCHIBALD ERNEST - his service record is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C1135393 - and his medal index card that confirms the first names and KIA date shows his medals were sent to his father A Lewis Esq, 28 Waterloo Street, Hove, Sussex

Comment

No apparent connection with Wales for Archibald Ernest - birth registered in Eastbourne - 4/4 1896 - and living their with parents/family in 1901 and 1911 - might have to be back to the drawing board for the researchers of the memorial

Comment

No time to look any further but there was an Arthur Edward Lewis - commemorated on the Loos Memorial recorded as killed 27 September 1915 - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...RTHUR%20EDWARD - but can't find a Welsh connection - seems very much a Londoner

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                      According to Dolgellau War Memorial Arthur was killed in action on 28th September 1915 near Loos ...
                      This site is dedicated to those men and women who fell fighting for their country. Recorded here are various war memorials within a variety of counties including main sections for Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and Norfolk. There are also other counties such as Hertfordshire, Essex, Northamptonshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk, Yorkshire and even the Channel Islands (although provied with individual links they appear under the banner 'Other Counties'). Where possible photographs have been taken of the memorials, details of the men included and their photographs as far as possible. The war memorials and rolls of honour cover a variety of regiments, airfields and air bases as well as the memorials and cemeteries in the countries overseas where the men fell.

Can anyone please find his military record etc?
                      Originally posted by Katarzyna
                      No time to look any further but there was an Arthur Edward Lewis - commemorated on the Loos Memorial recorded as killed 27 September 1915 - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...RTHUR%20EDWARD - but can't find a Welsh connection - seems very much a Londoner
                      The details on this roll do have a note saying 'possibility only' so I would say they have identified the wrong man from what has now been discovered.

Margaret
                      Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-09-14, 06:26.

Comment

Thanks very much everyone for trying to solve this one ... on the positive side;
                        - Arthur found in 1891
                        - looks like Arthur may not have been a casualty of WW1

I'd would appreciate help to find him in 1901 and 1911 ... wondering if he, like his brothers, left UK to leave elsewhere.
                        One went to S.Africa and the other to Canada/America.

Comment

I suspect that must be true Margaret. I cannot find him on 1901 and 1911 censuses or find a marriage so it's possible he died pre 1901.
                          Have yet to find emigration records - will look again later.

there is this one but he is a clerk.
                          Name: Arthur Lewis
                          Birth Date: abt 1872
                          Departure Date: 14 Jun 1895
                          Port of Departure: London, England
                          Destination Port: Melbourne, Australia
                          Ship Name: Orizaba
                          Master: A W Clarke
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 22-09-14, 08:46.
                          Kat

Comment

Have looked in Trove but can only find the departure of Orizaba back to London in August 1895 not it's arrival with passengers. Perhaps someone else can look - I have great difficulty searching this site!
                            Kat

Comment

Thanks for your continued support

it's possible he died pre 1901.
                              According to the 1911 census his mother had 8 children, 6 still living and 2 who'd died prior to 1911. On my previous thread Lewis children it was established that the 2 who died prior to 1911 were Evan Henry (1876) and Winifred Louisa (1898)

The Australian clerk is a possibility ... wonder why the Lewis boys didn't want to stay in the UK?
                              Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 22-09-14, 10:11.

Comment

None of the girls married either which is a bit odd. Perhaps it was a very strict Victorian clerical upbringing. The boys at least had a chance to get away!
                                Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X