Teddy Bear on 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teddy Bear on 1911 census

Thought this very funny this family have a daughter Daisy aged 6 and underneath the family names is a Teddy Bear Boarder aged 6 months single born Germany occupation In pleasing Daisy

Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!
    Last edited by Guest; 19-09-14, 19:49.

That's lovely, interesting that they all work for a magazine.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I knew Stanleys Son thats why I was looking at this ,Stanley ended up working for The Times as a War Office Photographer
      I wonder as the Bear was German was he a Steiff?
      Last edited by Guest; 19-09-14, 20:13.

Comment

Aww it's certainly different isn't it?
        Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

I think its wonderful the sense of humour they must have had , unlike my husband I showed him this he didn't even smile?

Comment

As someone with a house filled with huggles of teddy bears, I LOVE this census return, so thanks for posting, Val.

As it was 1911, I would think the odds are very much on that teddy was a Steiff. English teddy making was still very much in its infancy. Quite a lot of the Steiff German bears of that era were made using English mohair, so I am informed by my teddy bear encyclopaedia!

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Lovely

Comment

I love this as a big fan of all bears - real and stuffed.
                Thanks for posting.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

pleased it made other people smile I thought it was wonderful, wondered if Daisy said have you put Teddy on there? he does live here.

Comment

Yes, most likely a Steiff. Hermann bears, the other main German manufacturer, started in about 1912, just googled to check, Shuco were later again.
                    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

wonder what happened to it , would be worth a fortune now

Comment

Thanks for posting Val, this has made me smile on a Saturday morning. :o

Comment

This is such an informative forum isn't it? I never knew before that the that the collective noun for a group of teddy bears was a Huggle.
                          Thank you for that!

Comment

Thanks for posting! lovely bit of humour and informative in terms of teddy bear facts

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              pleased it made other people smile I thought it was wonderful, wondered if Daisy said have you put Teddy on there? he does live here.
                              Thanks for posting this Val, and I think you may have guessed the reason he is on there. What lovely parents Daisy must have had
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

isn't Huggle so appropiate for Teddies, I dont know anything about the rest of the family but Stanleys Son turned out to be a lovely man.

Comment

I don't think for a minute that "huggles" is the official collective noun for a group of teddies, and I'm sorry if I've given this impression.
                                  When I was teaching, I regularly did a "teddy bear" week with my class and took all of my teddy gang in to meet the children. It was two of the children who once described them as a huggle of teddies - as a staff, we loved the word for its appropriateness and I'm afraid it just became part of our "in crowd" vocabulary. I think its describes beautifully the special bond between teddies and their owner and I used the word in my post without thinking. So apologies, there was no intention to deceive, its just the way I now think and talk about teddy bears.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

just been googling and it says a Group of Teddy Bears are called ?? a Hug which is not a lot different to what you said Janet

Comment

Wonder if this is your little friend?

Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

thats a lovely photo Sarah you never know ?

Comment

Working...
                                        X