Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Court rulings - how can I find out what the original case was?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Court rulings - how can I find out what the original case was?

My friend has a copy of a page of the London Gazette 1883, August 10th.

The article begins "to be sold, persuant to an order of the high court of justice, chancery division made in the matter and action of re Mason, deceased, Lacey v Burrows 1882, M., No 1454 with the approbation of his Lordship....." blah blah

There then follows details of lots to be sold.

We are reading this that there was some sort of dispute about the sale possibly? or ownership of such? Does anyone have any advice on how we can find out about the dispute? We have tried Google but no luck.

The named people lived in or around Leicester as her family hail from this area. Strange that this local court case was in the London press, was this common?

Thanks very much.

Amanda

Forgot to say that my friend has a nightmare of a search in trying to find out a specific family connection between the Mason and Burrows in said case.

Thanks

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
      My friend has a copy of a page of the London Gazette 1883, August 10th.

The article begins "to be sold, persuant to an order of the high court of justice, chancery division made in the matter and action of re Mason, deceased, Lacey v Burrows 1882, M., No 1454 with the approbation of his Lordship....." blah blah

There then follows details of lots to be sold.

We are reading this that there was some sort of dispute about the sale possibly? or ownership of such? Does anyone have any advice on how we can find out about the dispute? We have tried Google but no luck.

The named people lived in or around Leicester as her family hail from this area. Strange that this local court case was in the London press, was this common?

Thanks very much.

Amanda
      It might have been a bankruptcy that forced the sale and a suit taken out by a creditor.

The National Archives site has lots of law suits so might be worth looking on there.

Margaret

Comment

I would have thought the link was Mason and Lacey who sued Burrows.

Margaret

Comment

Chancery division suggests it was a disputed Will or marriage settlement rather than a bankruptcy.

Chancery cases can go on for literally centuries so you may need to cast your search quite far back.

OC

Comment

This page may help you.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

You need to find someone with access to Lexis Library (www.lexisnexis,co.uk) or Westlaw (http://legalresearch.westlaw.co.uk/), i.e. law student, lawyers solicetors etc. They then could find the case as per Lacey v Burrows 1882, M., No 1454 and should be able to find the full case transcript. Unfortunately my wife no longer has access.
              Last edited by dermotdjt; 20-09-14, 22:21.

Comment

I have passed all this onto my friend, many thanks to all who have helped.

Amanda

Comment

Working...
                X