new Zealand passenger list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Zealand passenger list

I am looking for a WILLIAM ELWIN born 1853 in Norfolk England on the passenger lists to NZ, I have only found him up to the 1891 census in Norwich, he doesnt appear to be on 1901. I believe he emigrated to NZ but don't know exactly when. He was the son of JAMES ELWIN and MARY ANN ALTHORPE both from Norwich.

he wasnt a Reverend was he ? as there is a W Elwin born 1853 going to South Africa 4/5/1893 I cannot find one going to New Zealand who fits

Comment

I don't think so, believe he worked on the railways. Does it say if he was born in Norfolk? Maybe he went to New Zealand from south Africa? Where can I find this information or can you send it to me?

Comment

Hi
        This looks like your man.

Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie yes that looks like him. What NZ sites can I get access to,to find out if he had children?
          Sheila

Comment

Index to NZ Births, Deaths & Marriages:
            Birth, Death and Marriage - Historical Records

Possibles
            Marriage to Julia FROST in 1885

Children: with Julia as mother's given name
            William Arthur Everitt ELWIN b. 1890
            George Augustus Allthorpe ELWIN b. 1893
            Evelyn Lilias Agnes ELWIN b. 1896

... and Frederick Willoughby ELWIN b. 1924

Cheers
            K.
            Last edited by Koromo; 18-09-14, 07:18.

Comment

This is the New Zealand page in FTF Reference Library.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Koromo View Post
                Index to NZ Births, Deaths & Marriages:

... and Frederick Willoughby ELWIN b. 1924
                Frederick Willoughby ELWIN died in 1979. His entry in the deaths index is one of the few which gives his actual birth date of 4 September 1897. Don't know why his birth is listed on the births index as 1924 — maybe he had to be re-registered in 1924 for some reason.

Comment

Thank you Kat and Koromo,
                  I will have a look at these sites very helpful

Comment

I wonder if this is his immigration - no age given, unfortunately, and I don't know why he would have added a middle name, but this one was from Norfolk and the date fits with the marriage and births that Koromo found above:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists, 1839-1973
                    Name: Wm Geo Elwin
                    Event Type: Immigration
                    Event Date: 16 May 1883
                    Event Place: Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
                    Marital Status: Single
                    Nationality: Norfolk
                    Departure Date: 1883
                    Arrival Port: Hawkes Bay
                    Arrival Place: Hawkes Bay
                    Digital Folder Number: 004412295 , Image Number: 00011

Comment

Thanks Richard, that could be him, the birth index over here doesn't give him a middle name, I don't have the birth certificate. On 1881 census here he was listed as a Railway checker. There is some records on ancestry for him possibly for immigration and electoral rolls,but I don't have the subscription for worldwide.

Comment

Oh and I just checked the image, which is available for free on familysearch - his age is on the image, given as 28 which gives an approx birth year of 1855 (so that seems to fit with your man also). Image: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....5-7?cc=1609792

Comment

In case you don't have it already, his baptism is on FreeReg. No middle name given at baptism, but I suppose he could have added one later in life!

County Norfolk
                          Place Norwich
                          Church St James with Pockthorpe
                          RegisterNumber 632
                          DateOfBirth 06 Feb 1853
                          BaptismDate 06 Mar 1853
                          Forename William
                          Sex M
                          FatherForename James
                          MotherForename Mary Ann
                          FatherSurname ELWIN
                          MotherSurname
                          Abode Otp
                          FatherOccupation Baker
                          Notes
                          FileNumber 3362

... and the image of the above baptism is on familysearch: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....59202,30145901
                          Last edited by Richard in Perth; 18-09-14, 14:14.

Comment

Thank you,I have his baptism and birth records and if you follow the line along on passenger list it says Auckland and not Hawkes Bay. Which would fit in with the marriage record somebody else has found and births of children. Also the electoral rolls I said about were Auckland.
                            I am so pleased I found this site ,I have had more success in 2 days than I have in ages.
                            Thank you everybody.
                            Sheila
                            Last edited by Sheiky; 18-09-14, 14:17.

Comment

I am a bit confused now, it sounds like it could be my WILLIAM ELWIN on Papers past in Memoriam post. Died in 1899. But it seems like he had another child in 1924 a FREDERICK WILLOUGHBY ELWIN.

Comment

Originally posted by Koromo View Post
                                Frederick Willoughby ELWIN died in 1979. His entry in the deaths index is one of the few which gives his actual birth date of 4 September 1897. Don't know why his birth is listed on the births index as 1924 — maybe he had to be re-registered in 1924 for some reason.
                                Hi Sheila
                                Koromo posed this question when she found his death entry.
                                Frederick Willoughby Elwin was first listed as eligible to vote in Auckland in 1919 & he is also listed in the New Zealand Army WW1 Nominal Rolls 1914-1918. I don't have the necessary sub to Ancestry to see what other info these records contain.
                                Moggie

Comment

A very detailed account of Evelyn's wedding in 1928. She was said to be the 2nd daughter of Mrs J Elwin & right at the bottom it notes the sister of the bride as Mrs F Lincoln.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Anyway, Frederick must have been born prior to 1914 otherwise his birth registration would not be available on the NZ BDM site, which has a cut-off of 100 years for births. In fact, on this BDM site you can put a range for the exact date of birth and you will only get a "hit" if the date falls within this range (even though the index does not explicitly show the actual date). Therefore you can use this feature of the site to "test" for actual dates. If you do this for Frederick, searching from date 04/09/1897 to date 04/09/1897, you get a hit which tells you that this was his birthdate (which is also confirmed by the death registration in this case).

Incidentally, you can use this feature of the site to work out the exact date of any BDM event in the index, by gradually decreasing the range of dates until you narrow down to the exact day. This feature also works for the Queensland and New South Wales BMD sites in Australia. Very useful!
                                    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 19-09-14, 02:37.

Comment

Thank you Richard,I have just tried it,I see what you mean. I have just ordered a printout of WILLIAM ELWIN marriage and his death,hoping it might have more info on them.
                                      Love the article on Evelyn's wedding, how detailed, don't have that over in England unless they are well to do people. Wondered why the mothers wore black?
                                      Moggie,can I ask where did you see the NZ ww1 record and electoral roll?
                                      Thanks again guys
                                      Sheila

Comment

Working...
                                      X