APPLE - Flash Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APPLE - Flash Drive?

Once again I am considering buying an Apple Laptop as Windows 8 does not appeal to me at all.

Where I need some help please, is it difficult to get Google as my Home Page?

I am puzzled by the ‘spec’ on these laptops as they talk about a ‘Flash Drive’ instead of a ‘Hard Disk’. What exactly is a ‘Flash Drive’ on these machines? Does it mean that this drive is a portable USB or is it part of the machine? Obviously they do not have any moving parts which must be better!

Sorry not to explain this very well but may improve depending on any help you are able to give me.

I will watch this space with interest.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Hi Margaret.
    The Flash drive is likely to be a ssd ( solid state drive) it is the hard disc .

You can easliy set google as your home page.
    Sue ;)

Comment

Margaret, having just gone from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I have to say that I have found very few problems in the change over, and basically you can set your W8 OS to run in a very similar mode to W7.

Before moving over to a Mac operating system I would suggest you carefully consider the programs you currently run on your Windows OS and whether they are compatible with Mac.
      Apart from learning a new OS, you may need to purchase and learn how to use new programs.
      Elaine

Comment

I agree with Elaine. I had no problems moving from XP to Win 8. I WAS expecting it to awful ..... but it wasn't!! -). If its the 'Tile interface' you don't like, in fact you don't have to see it at all (although I find it has its uses)

I sometimes use my son's Apple computer and its fine but I know my family tree program will not run on it without all sorts of wizardry and running it in 'pretend' Windows or Wine Bottles or some such!! I thought that would be a much harder change than just moving up a few Windows editions.

Anne
        Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 16-09-14, 15:45.

Comment

Thank you all for such useful information it is all very helpful after all Apple are not exactly cheap.

I will continue to think about this project as I take years to make up my mind. Probably widows 10 or whatever will have arrived by then.

Best Wishes
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
          X