Can't find death cert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find death cert

I am hoping that this forum can come up with some ideas .

I am having trouble finding a death certificate for this fellow.

William Henry Barton
    born 19 July 1814 to John Barton and Sarah, St George in the East, Middlesex

married Nancy Smith, 23 Sept 1838 Shoreditch, Middlesex

I have him in the 1841, 1851 and the 1861 censuses. He is a shoemaker, or traveller in shoe trade. He is now in the Stepney/Shoreditch/Bethnal Green area , Middlesex. All these areas are next to each other.

In the 1871 his wife Nancy is a widow in Bethnal Green. Nancy died in 1892 Bethnal Green.

On ancestry - Non Conformists and Non Parochial Records

William Henry Barton age 49 ( b. about 1814) of 33 William Street Bethnal Green
    Died or buried 27 December 1864.

The only death registration I can find is for William Barton, March Q 1864 Pancras 1b - 117 - but this is a different registration district.

I am tempted to send away for it, but does anyone have any other suggestions? I have used ancestry, FMP and freebmd.

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

You say "This is a different registration district" - different from what, please? Remember that deaths are registered where they occur, which isn't necessarily where you live.

EDIT - sorry, just realised if he died in December 1864 he could hardly have been registered eleven months EARLIER in Jan 1864. Also, in 1864 you could still get away with not registering a death, so maybe his death just wasn't registered.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 14-09-14, 23:11.

Comment

Is there any way of checking that the burial date is correct on Ancestry? If that is correct then there are a few possible death regs in Mar Q 1865 - remember six days to rgister a death would take the registration into 1865 if he died 29th December 1864.

If the Ancestry death date is correct, then it can't be his death registered in March 1864.

OC

Comment

What about the death reg
        William Barton
        Jan-Feb-Mar 1864
        Pancras,London
        Vol 1b Page 117
        Last edited by niftynannie; 15-09-14, 06:15.

Comment

The 1861 census states that he was a traveller in the shoe trade, so it's quite possible that he could have died whilst away from home.

Comment

If you think the burial is a likely one, he could easily have been brought from where he died "back home" to be buried.
            I agree the date is def Dec 1863 so the registration in Mar Q 1864 is quite likley.

Anne

Comment

I have someone who lived in Hartlepool as a dockgateman in 1851 census - however he died in Newcastle upon Tyne as a mariner in 1957. As it was a very common name the only way I found it was because he was buried back in Hartlepool.

I also have a soldier who died on leave in 1859 but wasn't registered either where he was on leave, his army base or where his wife was living - 3 different places. In fact I haven't got a death for him at all yet the Army has his date of death so must have had some proof as they would have said deserted otherwise.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the response.

I am going to go ahead and order the William Barton , St Pancras death certificate.

Fingers crossed that it will be the correct one,

bcbrit
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Fingers crossed! Let us know the outcome.
                  Anne

Comment

Husband's Grandad lived in Sussex but died in Clitheroe Lancs....while working away from home.

Luckily was quite easy to find though as he was the only one with that name.

Linda

Comment

The death certificate arrived today, and it was the wrong man.

19th January 1864, William Barton age 50 years, porter , died of chronic bronchitis in the Pancras Workhouse, Middlesex. The death was registered on the 30th January 1864.

So back to the drawing board !

bcbrit

Comment

Oh ******* that's a shame. Still, at least you have eliminated that one.
                        Anne

Comment

that burial for William Barton is on deceasedonline shame I didnt see it earlier could have saved you sending for the cert
                          Last edited by Guest; 17-10-14, 12:56.

Comment

wonder about these two
                            William Henry Burton Dec 1863 Nottingham Nottinghamshire 7B 159 and
                            William Henry Burton dec 1863 Chesterfield Derbyshire 7B 355
                            Last edited by Guest; 17-10-14, 13:12.

Comment

Hi Anne and Val,

Thanks for replying. I think I may have to put this one back on the shelf for a while.

However, on the plus side, I will be in the London area for a couple of weeks in November. I am making up a list of archives that I want to get to. Not quite sure how I will fit in family, friends, family research, Marks and Spencer and a museum or two, but I will give it a good go - haha !

bcbrit

Comment

forget the rest just go to the archives, much more important:Big Grin:

Comment

Working...
                                X