Looking for Mr Smith!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Mr Smith!

In 1916, my gran Elizabeth Ethel Ward married Stanley George Smith in the West Ham district

They separated but never divorced, my gran died in 1960. She lived with my grandad Arthur Albert McKanna until she died and had my dad.

Elizabeth, known as Ethel, was born in Nov 1893 in Stratford, Essex. From their marriage cert I put Stanley's birth year at about the same time, but I have no idea where he was born. His father is named at Sydney Smith, a stableman.

I would like to find more about Mr Smith to fill in my tree gaps, when he died (I think it was after my gran as he is mentioned on the death cert, without the word deceased after his name), his mother's name etc.

I would appreciate any help if looking for Smiths sounds like a challenge.

Many thanks

Amanda

Originally posted by amck37 View Post
    In 1916, my gran Elizabeth Ethel Ward married Stanley George Smith in the West Ham district

They separated but never divorced, my gran died in 1960. She lived with my grandad Arthur Albert McKanna until she died and had my dad.

Elizabeth, known as Ethel, was born in Nov 1893 in Stratford, Essex. From their marriage cert I put Stanley's birth year at about the same time, but I have no idea where he was born. His father is named at Sydney Smith, a stableman.

I would like to find more about Mr Smith to fill in my tree gaps, when he died (I think it was after my gran as he is mentioned on the death cert, without the word deceased after his name), his mother's name etc.

I would appreciate any help if looking for Smiths sounds like a challenge.

Many thanks

Amanda
    What exactly does it say on the death cert? If her husband was dead it would say her occupation was 'widow of...' who was the informant of her death and what was the address please?
    Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 12-09-14, 15:57.

Comment

How about this one-

Stanley George Smith
      Birth Date: Apr 1893
      Date of Registration: Sep 1973
      Age at Death: 80
      Registration district: Stepney
      Inferred County: London
      Volume: 5e
      Page: 199

Margaret

Comment

Oooh! Well Margaret!

That's what I was thinking, it doesn't say widow of Stanley Smith.

My grandad was the informant but because they weren't married, he had no legal right to call himself widower of Elizabeth. Actually, getting the birth cert has revealed some excellent info.

The death cert was registered then it seems that 'someone' possibly, Stanley being still alive, objected to the original info. So where it says Ethel Elizabeth McKanna, a small note to the side says 'McKanna, otherwise Smith'. Where it says wife of Arthur Albert McKanna, a small note says 'wife of Stanley Smith'. Also in a small side note it says, 'Amended by registrar on production of a statutory declaration made by Arthur McKanna and Isabel Rolfe (who was Elizabeth's sister).

I'll look into that lead, thanks Margaret I'd lke to find where Stanley was born so that I can enter that into census searches etc
        Last edited by Guest; 12-09-14, 19:01.

Comment

there is a Stanley Smith born abt 1893 West Ham Essex
          but says Father Frederick Smith born abt 1862 West Ham a Coffin Maker Undertaker
          wife Alice born abt 1861 Diss Norfolk
          Siblings
          Ethel born abt 1889 West Ham
          Sydney born abt 1911 West Ham
          living in 19 Thackeray Road East Ham Essex

big gap between Stanley and Sydney

Comment

Hi,

I have information about Stanley George Smith. My grandfather Herbert Sydney Smith was his brother. Stanley was born on 2nd May 1893 in Boyton, Suffolk (registration district Woodbridge). His parents were Sidney Smith and Eliza Amelia Curtis. We believe he worked at The Royal Arsenal in Woolwich as did his two brothers Lawrence and Alfred. I have been researching my family tree since 2011 and have found out quite alot of information about the Smith family although I have not yet found out where or when Stanley's mother (my great grand mother) Eliza Ameilia died. I know she was alive in 1939 living with her daughter Miriam in Suffolk.

Frances

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Frances. Amanda hasn't been active here since early in the year. You could try contacting her by Private Message. Click on her user name ( to the left of her messages) and you'll find the option to send a Private Message.
              Last edited by JudithM; 16-12-16, 07:09.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                Welcome to the Forum Frances. Amanda hasn't been active here since early in the year. You could try contacting her by Private Message. Click on her user name ( to the left of her messages) and you'll find the option to send a Private Message.
                Hi Frances, I sent you a private message.

Amanda x

Comment

Working...
                X