Trying to trace John Moyle Inspector of Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to trace John Moyle Inspector of Police

I have John Moyle on 1841 census with wife Mary and 10 children at Royal Clarence Yard Gosport Inspector of Police. The census is hard to read but I think it says he wasn't born in county and aged 60 b 1781. He died 19 Sep 1848 at Alverstoke. Hampshire Telegraph 23 Sept 1848 Deaths Moyle at Gosport, Mr John Moyle age 67 Superintendent of Police at Clarence Victualling Yard from which office he was superannuated only a few weeks since. I have his will. I can find nothing else about him. His daughter Mary Ann was born 1802 and on census states born Portsea Hampshire, like the other 9 children but I cannot find her birth on Family History Research, Ancestry or the the discs I have bought from Hampshire Genealogy Society. The only one I can find is on FHS at Chatham, Kent. There was also a John Thomas Moyle be 1798 at Chatham Kent to John and Mary.

The 1841 census for his wife shows she was born 1781 in Scotland Ireland or foreign parts but on that page a lot of people have that tick. 1851 she is with her daughter Ann Guilliford b 1776 Middlesex.

Are there any records for police officers to check out online or to send for as I'm down under. Any help on where they were born, married, etc would be appreciated.

Tora

Hard to know if there is a connection, but the Hampshire Telegraph & Portsmouth Gazette, 10 May 1802 mentions

'Married - Tuesday se'nnight (week?), at Exeter, Mr John Moyle, merchant of this place, to Miss Turner, only daughter of Mr Thomas Turner of that city.'

Would perhaps fit with the same-year birth of the daughter?

Beverley

Comment

Hi there - it is worth contacting the Hampshire Constabulary History Society at the following address:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the Home Page there is a contact email address. I am sure they will point you in the right direction (based on my experience)

Comment

If you go to The National Archives site and enter John Moyle Police in the search box there are two documents relating to him. You have the will but you might not have the one relating to the executors' application for money owed by the Royal Navy

Comment

The Chatham Dockyard Historical Society have a leaflet about the Dockyard Police:

http://www.dockmus.btck.co.uk/ - it's a long list and that one is near the bottom.

The dockyards had (and still have) their own police forces, so it would make sense for him to go to Gosport from Chatham.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Likely baptisms (from a quick search of familysearch.org) are:

John Thomas 30 Dec 1798 Chatham
            Mary Ann 08 Aug 1802 Chatham
            Robert [Moyel] 08 Oct 1802 [note date] Chatham
            William Henry born 07 Jun 1807, bap. 18 Apr 1813 [note date] Portsea
            Jane 09 Apr 1809 Portsea
            Ann [Moyel] 25 Nov 1810 Portsemouth
            Eliza 18 Apr 1813 Portsea
            Harriet 06 Dec 1814 Portsea; died 11 Dec 1814
            Jemima 16 Jun 1816 Portsea
            Edward 22 Mar 1818 Portsea

Dau. Jane likely married 05 Oct 1824 Alverstoke [Gosport]

There may be others if you look more diligently! Note: you can get copy scans of all these records from familysearch [photoduplication] and you can also [very likely] get the images yourself for the Chatham records from http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

In the case of the latter click on 'Parish Registers Online' on the left hand side of the screen. Hopefully one or more of these will give an indication of his occupation (i.e. whether he was always a dockyard policeman or had a previous occupation)

Comment

Thank you all for looking.

Bev, that John Moyle is not mine as he is in the newspaper all the time as a merchant whilst mine is at the victualing yard.

Bertie, I will contact the Hampshire Constabulary Society. I have just bought the one off the National Archives, only one page and very hard to read, I will be working on it. I have the children as they are all listed in his will except John Thomas, who I can find nothing about, maybe died young and I don't think Robert is his as I know Mary Ann definitely is. Had a quick look at City Ark and will work on it this afternoon. Looks like a great site.

Caroline, that's a great website, have bookmarked it as I have a lot of Naval ancestors and I've never seen it before.

Once again many thanks to you all.

Tora
              Last edited by Tora; 13-09-14, 01:52.

Comment

Just an update. Have had an email back about the Chatham Dockyard booklet. Just have to figure out how to get the money to England as the don't do visa or pay pal.

Hampshire constabulary has emailed me back and will be in contact again, they did suggest I visit Kew as I didn't tell them where I lived.

Have looked at city ark but unfortunately no further information on the christening, like occupation.

Thank you all for your help.

Tora

Comment

Working...
                X