Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pointers needed on ID to join Army in 1908 and name changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointers needed on ID to join Army in 1908 and name changes.

Hi.

This is my first request for advice and hopefully someone can advise me.

After two years of researching my family tree, I can pretty much find my way about the research side but I became stuck last year when trying to get to the bottom of what went on with my great grand father. The story, although this is going to be complicated to explain, I was told for many years that my great grand father Ambrose Burton Carter (1864 in Norfolk) died after breaking his back on the Railways in Altrincham and died 4 days later in 1911 and the children aged 7, 5, 3 and 1, including my grand mother Maud Alice Carter (married 1903) went into care/work house due to the fact my great grand mother was also 7 months pregnant. The family regrouped later and relocated in Chirk North Wales. This is the story we were all told.

I tracked Ambrose from his birth in 1864 in Norfolk, to residing with his parents now in London in the 1871 and 1881 census and then in 1891 he was a boarder and in that census he is with a wife Louisa Maud Carter and a son Louis Birt Carter aged 2, born Forest Gate 1888. States he was married. This was the first of many skeletons that I discovered. However, I was unable to find any marriage certificate or a birth certificate for the son Louis. Louis shows up on the 1891 and 1901 census forms as born 1888 in Forest Gate.

Now, in 1901 Ambrose and son Louis are in Altrincham, and he is noted on the census as a widower. I then got hold of the marriage certificate of my great grand mother and sure enough he was noted as a widower when he married my great grand mother in 1903. Ambrose's parents noted on the certificate were the same as I had and the birth place of Norfolk was correct, so I did have the right guy. What I could not understand is my great grand mother Maud Alice was buried in Chirk North Wales when she passed away in 1954, yet Ambrose is buried in Bowdon Altrincham. A relative has the original funeral invoice which gave the grave number of Ambrose plus a charge for removal of grave stone.

So now the 2nd skeleton. A further search brought up Louisa Maud Carter as died Jan 1901 and buried in Bowdon. I also found a record of a child Louisa Maud born the same day as the death of the mother. And the same census shows this child living three doors away with a Hanson family and noted as LOUISA MAUD CARTER ATOP DAUGHTER. Was it possible back then to just give children away?. A search of Church records showed that Ambrose did christen the child in March 1901. Church records also showed that Ambrose was in fact buried with Louisa Maud Carter (wife) in 1911, that's 8 years after he married my grand mother Maud Alice. That explained why my great grand mother is buried in Chirk. I also have copies of all Ambrose's children, and some state father as Ambrose BURTON but others say Ambrose ALFRED. As the story got complicated it appears tome that even my great grand mother, 2nd wife of Ambrose was planting seeds to deceive.

Ambrose was born in Norfolk. Lived in London from at least 1881 to 1891. 1901 he is in Altrincham. Married my great grand mother in 1903. My grand mother was born 1905 in London, sand so was the other children Arthur and John, but Margaret was born in Altrincham 1910. So some flitting about took place between London and Altrincham between 1891 and 1910, why he did so I have no idea.

I then pulled his death certificate, nothing about an injury, he died of heart failure and heavy metal poisoning with his wife in attendance. There are zero records of any railway injury and never worked for the railway, his father did though. So I have no idea why that story was told.

The issue I have had is I have been unable to find a marriage certificate for Ambrose and Louisa Maud, in fact Louisa Maud seems to never existed, although I didn't know her maiden name. Also no records either for the son Louis Birt Carter, no birth certificate. From 1901, the son Louis Birt then disappears from all records. No trace.

At this point my family were stunned by the revelation that Ambrose had been married before (or had he) to a Louisa Maud, had a son Louis Birt who has disappeared and a daughter Louisa Maud who was adopted. Not been killed on the railways but died of natural causes. I was also baffled why the middle name 'ALFRED' was used on a number of children birth certificates and on his burial register but used 'BURTON' on others.

So, after hundreds if not thousands of hours of research I have not been able to locate young Louis Birt after the 1901 census. I have been unable to find any marriage certificate for Ambrose and Louisa Maud. So on both of these points I was stumped. I then decided, after pulling my hair out, to employ a Genealogist. This was a great move because they discovered that the son Louis Birt Carter was in fact Louis Birt Allen, born 1888 in Forest Gate. Mother, Louisa Allen nee White, father Ambrose Burton Allen. Allen! Where the hell did tht come from?

My first question. The mother was the informant when she registered Louis Birt. Did she need to take some form of identification to register the birth and this is why she needed to lie and say Ambrose Burton was ALLEN not CARTER?. She was clearly married to someone called Allen. NO records exists of anyone called AMBROSE BURTON ALLEN. The reason the Genealogist is convinced it's the same Ambrose. I know divorce was not an option those days.

In documents that followed Luis Birt becomes Carter and no mention is made of Allen. That is when he disappears off my radar after 1901. I know he must of gone back to London because my grand mother was born there in 1905.

My second question. I have now located Army records for a Louis Birt Allen and he joined in 1908 and was living in London and he gives his father as Ambrose Burton Allen. This is the second time the Allen name comes up. My question is, it's 1908, six years before WW1. Did they have to again show identification then, unlike WW1 where they seemed to take anyone and possible to lie about your age. If that is the case and he showed his birth certificate, he had no option but to use the last name Allen?.

Sorry about the long complicated story, but for me it's been a fascinating one with I am sure even more truths to uncover. They say life was not complicated those days!

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Tony

then and now, anyone can use any surname they wish, as long as they are not doing it to deceive for financial gain.

When a woman went to register the birth of her child she needed no proof of anything at all. Sometimes, if she looked a bit, aherm, loose! he might ask her when and where she was married, but that would be from spite. If she said she was married then that was good enough for the registrar, it is not his job to make people prove what they say - his work would never be done if he did! Also, then and now, there were notices sternly warning of the penalty for telling lies and that was considered enough.

When someone joined the army, as long as they looked old enough, no questions would be asked and they probably wouldn't need to supply a birth cert - all you had to do is say you haven't ever had a birth cert and they would take you anyway - again, it is not the Army's business to prove you are telling the truth and that you are who you say you are.

And yes - before formal adoption came into being in 1926, you could indeed just give a child away without any formalities whatsover.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Tony

then and now, anyone can use any surname they wish, as long as they are not doing it to deceive for financial gain.

When a woman went to register the birth of her child she needed no proof of anything at all. Sometimes, if she looked a bit, aherm, loose! he might ask her when and where she was married, but that would be from spite. If she said she was married then that was good enough for the registrar, it is not his job to make people prove what they say - his work would never be done if he did! Also, then and now, there were notices sternly warning of the penalty for telling lies and that was considered enough.

When someone joined the army, as long as they looked old enough, no questions would be asked and they probably wouldn't need to supply a birth cert - all you had to do is say you haven't ever had a birth cert and they would take you anyway - again, it is not the Army's business to prove you are telling the truth and that you are who you say you are.

And yes - before formal adoption came into being in 1926, you could indeed just give a child away without any formalities whatsover.

OC
      Many thanks for your detailed reply. In a way what you have written brings in more questions as to why they felt the need to give a false name. Very strange indeed. The army information is really helpful, he did in fairness become a good soldier and served throughout WW1 before being discharged. 1926 was when formal adoption became law, I didn't know that. The girl who was adopted did mention Ambrose on her marriage records, so she at least knew she was adopted and remembered her father when she married. Family tree research is one of the most enjoyable, although frustrating at times, things I have ever taken on. Regards, Tony

Comment

As for family stories, I think we all have experience of the story which isn't quite right and has got muddled down the years. I grew up with the story that my great grandmother died of a broken heart in 1919 because her only child (my grandfather) was missing presumed dead and did not return from WW1.

Not true! She died of Spanish Influenza (in 1919, admittedly) and her son was the informant, present at her death. He had indeed been taken prisoner of war but they always knew where he was (he was an officer) and correspondence was exchanged for the few months he was prisoner.

Other stories have mixed up several generations, mixed up people, mixed up a sequence of events and so on, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the railway accident was the previous generation.

As for the name changing.......well, Ambrose and Louisa weren't married, she was married to someone else and as she had registered their child as Allen, not Carter, then the name Allen would be the one they would use on official occasions as they knew (or thought they knew) they were doing something wrong by using the name Carter. You will find this quite a lot when people have told a lie and are trying to cover their tracks. The other explanation is that people assumed what their surname was - remember that census information wasn't always filled in by the householder, but often by the enumerator, who assumed that everyone in the household had the same surname.

Alfred as a middle name - a mistake, or a deliberate change from Burton. My grandfather suddenly acquired a middle name when he was about 20, sounded posher I think.

OC

Comment

Hi OC.

Many thanks again for the detail. I do have difficulty trying to understand how they lived back then, they were not the smartest of people. I also found out during my research all my grand parents had to get married, the old 'shotgun wedding'. I also found out Official records are not always as accurate as you imagine. Using Alfred on two children's birth certificates, Burton on their marriage certificate and again Alfred when he died. Strange one indeed. Love you middle name story, I wonder how long he pondered before coming up with one. Having said that, I am an Anthony and call myself Tony, have done for years.

Comment

Originally posted by tonybiker View Post
            Hi OC.

Many thanks again for the detail. I do have difficulty trying to understand how they lived back then, they were not the smartest of people. I also found out during my research all my grand parents had to get married, the old 'shotgun wedding'. I also found out Official records are not always as accurate as you imagine. Using Alfred on two children's birth certificates, Burton on their marriage certificate and again Alfred when he died. Strange one indeed. Love you middle name story, I wonder how long he pondered before coming up with one. Having said that, I am an Anthony and call myself Tony, have done for years.
            Well the registrar could only record what s/he was told, or thought s/he was being told! If they'd have had to query every single detail, they'd never had got through things in the working day.
            Also, like everyone else, on occasions, registrars were prone to make errors when recording. On 24th December 1867 (Christmas Eve) a Norfolk registrar recorded the birth of my grandfather as having been on 26th December 1867. (Impossible ) Grandad celebrated his birthday in NOVEMBER. I have always thought the registrar's error may have been due to too much Christmas spirit.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I forgot to mention the two golden rules of genealogical research:

1. Believe everything.
              2. Believe nothing.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                I forgot to mention the two golden rules of genealogical research:

1. Believe everything.
                2. Believe nothing.

OC
                Hear! hear!
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X