War Work WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Work WW2

Are their any records of any kind as to the sort of work that women would have been required to do during this war?

I did not know my mother but now know that she was single until 1940 when she married but did not have any other children. I understood that these ladies were all required to do 'War Work'. Some were in the Land Army, others in factories etc. I think that she lived in the London Area.

If anyone can give me a lead on this it would be appreciated.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Have a look at this BBC History site for some idea of what sort of things women were required to do. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british...t_war_01.shtml

My mum was 32, married but childless when the war started so didn't qualify to be "called up". She worked in north London as a book keeper in Fremlins (the brewers) bottling plant. She, and all her fellow workers took it in turns to do fire watching at night on the roof of the place where she worked, looking out for incendiary bombs or any outbreak of fire.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My parents married in 1943 and on their marriage cert my mother is described as "Waitress in NAAFI", so if your mother was doing war work when she married, it ought to be on her marriage cert.

OC

Comment

Hello Judith M and OC,

Thank you for your ideas every little helps. The BBC History page is really good and I have put in to my 'bookmarks'.

The marriage certificate only describes my mother as a Spinster.
        On my birth certificate a couple of years earlier she was described as a 'Photographers Canvasser'. I believe that she only did this sort of casual work even selling newspapers at London Stations. No benefits in those days.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I think women having to register for work was introduced gradually and also you (or your "employer") could apply for exemption. My mother married in 1942 - at that time, she was cook in the household of a doctor, his wife and the junior partner of the practice. After one week of married life, my Dad was sent overseas for the next three and a half years. Mum didn't have to register, she was an army wife, but chose to go and act as housekeeper for an elderly farmer and his wife, mainly as companion for his wife, as the old man was dashing around the county keeping six different farms going, to produce food. I think it was around 1942 when Mum's sister & her friends (all unmarried) had to register and went to work on the village farms as land girls or lumber jills. One girl in the village stayed at home - her parents had a front room shop and said that she was needed for the business, as they were getting on in years! She did do "war work" - she played the piano to entertain soldiers on Sunday evenings, whilst her parents attended church.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My Mum was single and living in London but born in Dublin and she was sent down to Trowbridge in Wiltshire to work on inspection in the Spitfire Factory that was in Trowbridge then. I do remember asking my Mum why? She said it was better than digging up potatoes! Mmmm the Irish famine was clearly on her mind then! Plus it was where she met my Dad too!
            teresa

Comment

My brother was born in 1939, so my mother wasn't required to work, but she had to accept evacuees into the home while Dad was away in the forces.

STG
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

The Land Army and Munitions Factories along with aircraft manufacture would have employed many women. My Aunt was married with one child of 8 and she was in the Land Army while her husband was in the army. My mother had 3 children under the age of 9 and did not work and husband in the Royal Navy.

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 15-09-14, 15:51.

Comment

Some information re dates & eligibility for registration can be found here

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                  X