Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing my 3 x g/g/gfather

Hi,
    Im new to this forum so please bear with me if I make any mistakes. Ive been researching my family tree for a couple of years, with breaks in between & Ive hit a brickwall.

My grandmother was Alice Maud Ley b1872 in Swansea married to Hiram Morgan b1879

My g/g/father was James ley b1842 in Berrynarbour, Devon married to Elizabeth Ann Slade b1851

My g/g/g/father was John Ley b1813!! Baptism 1816 in Berrynarbour, Devon married to Grace huxtable b1811

The above info (apart for John Ley b1813) has been sourced & documented but this is where my difficulty sets in. I cannot confirm which is my 3 x g/g/father.
    I have him named as William Ley b1788 in Berrynarbour, Devon married to mary Allen b1785 but I do not have the evidence this is him only
    that the marriage is documented, which doesn't prove hes connected to me.

How do I find this out to be able to move on. Your help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the Forum. Well done for getting back so far already!

There is often no easy to confirm whether a person so long ago is connected to you - but what you can do is find other evidence that makes it the most likely person because you have eliminated all others or have found some other evidence that gives a strong indication.

Where did you get the information you have? Have you got the baptism for John Ley and if so who are the parents?

The gap between William Ley's birth and John Ley b1813 is 25 years so quite a while to be having children over unless there were 2 wives. Are there other children in the baptism records for William and Mary?

There is a tree on ancestry by elainen1955 that has William Ley in it with a photo of his gravestone and it lists your John as one of the children - if this is not your tree you might like to contact the owner and see what evidence they have.

Margaret

Comment

Hi,
      Actually the Ancestry tree you have found is mine.....but I must confess a lot was added & I took over the tree. A lot is sourced but not all.
      I too thought the same.... that William & Mary ley could be a bit old to be the parents, that is why I've hit a brickwall.

Im not even sure if the baptism is correct as there are quite a few John Ley's from the Devon area & I dn't know how to find the right one
      to trace his parents!!

Comment

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Here are the baptisms of the Name Ley in Berrynarbour Devon Batch Number:C05030-1 from Familysearch.

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AM05030-1 Here are all the marriages in Berrynarbour but there are only four amongst them for the surname Ley Batch number M05030-1

Not sure if these will help

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by elanor View Post
          Hi,
          Actually the Ancestry tree you have found is mine.....but I must confess a lot was added & I took over the tree. A lot is sourced but not all.
          I too thought the same.... that William & Mary ley could be a bit old to be the parents, that is why I've hit a brickwall.

Im not even sure if the baptism is correct as there are quite a few John Ley's from the Devon area & I dn't know how to find the right one
          to trace his parents!!
          A useful source of information to confirm parents or other relationships is Wills. You can search for these on ancestry and the National Archives.

The other thing you could do is sort out the Ley families found in the baptism and marriage records for Berrynarbour - make mini trees for them and that might start to look a bit clearer as to who belongs to who and where your John might best fit to inform any further research.

Unfortunately when it is so far back it can be impossible to be definite about a line as so little information was given on births, deaths and marriages and it will only be some extraneous information that might clinch it!
          Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 09-09-14, 06:59.

Comment

Many thanks for the info, tying all the Ley's together would be a
            good move, as there are so many whi may be of no connection
            to me.

Comment

Many thanks for the info, tying all the Ley's together would be a
              good move, as there are so many whi may be of no connection
              to me.
              Let us know how you get on and if you come up with more you need to clarify.
              Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, Ive certainly got a lot to learn. Oh! to have someone
                sit down with me to show me exactly what to do. Still, I am learning as
                I go along. My journey for my 3 x gggfather is still ongoing but Im hopeful
                I will have some news on him soon.
                Thank goodness for these forum sites.

Comment

Thanks Margaret, Ive certainly got a lot to learn. Oh! to have someone
                  sit down with me to show me exactly what to do. Still, I am learning as
                  I go along. My journey for my 3 x gggfather is still ongoing but Im hopeful
                  I will have some news on him soon.
                  Thank goodness for these forum sites.
                  If you are able to join a U3A group in your area you may find there is one for genealogy where there will be people who have lots of different experiences and you could maybe 'sit down' with one of them for some tuition.
                  Margaret

Comment

Working...
                  X