Chrome update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome update

Can't seem to update Google Chrome to version 37.
    Am running Windows 8.1 Pro - current version of Chrome is 36.0.1985.143
    Under the "About" tab there is this error message
    Update failed (error: 3)An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154 -- system level).
    - and no option to update available.

Any suggestions please!
    Elaine

Elaine

According to the Google Chrome help https://support.google.com/chrome/an...11996?hl=en-GB error 3 means that the update check could not reach the Google Update Server. I have no idea how old this page is but Vista is mentioned so it may no longer apply. I have seen numerous other descriptions and apparently, and amazingly, the problem is caused by running Chrome as an administrative user.

The advice to run Chrome as a standard user and allow it to update itself begs the question of whether you have an available standard user account, or maybe it is Google's attempt to stop people using the web while having administrative privileges - not a bad idea.

The other suggestion of uninstalling and re-installing the latest version directly may be the way to go.

David

Comment

Thanks David. I thought it might be directly related to W8 as it's updated without any problem on my W7 laptop.
      Oh well, I might have to uninstall and reinstall! :(
      Elaine

Comment

Working...
      X