looking for my family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for my family

Hi i have been searching for nearly 2 years for my grt grn mother but always came up against a brick wall , i only know she was born 1871, married in 1900 in Derbyshire i have a copy of her marriage certificate /and of my grns birth 1907 / and of my grt grns death 1946 .my problem is that i can't find her birth any were, or her fathers . they were travellers /fairground people . my grn parents /grt grn parents occupations were hawkers . i just cannot solve this on any of the social sites so hoping this one might just be the one i'm looking for i would be grateful of any help .thanking you in anticipation. Candygirl.

Hi Candygirl, welcome to the forum.

Can you give us some names/dates etc of all that you know. Have you found your great grandmother in the 1901/1911 census. Can you give the full details from the marriage certificate, e.g. father's name/occupation, names of witnesses if they are possible family members etc.

Fingers crossed that someone may be able to find something for you!
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Hi Candygirl, welcome to the forum.

Can you give us some names/dates etc of all that you know. Have you found your great grandmother in the 1901/1911 census. Can you give the full details from the marriage certificate, e.g. father's name/occupation, names of witnesses if they are possible family members etc.

Fingers crossed that someone may be able to find something for you!
      Hi Elaine...Spain, my grt grn was Delia Jones aged 29 on her Marriage to Richard Turvill on 10th October 1900 , at Sandiacre, Derbtshire .
      Richard was aged 31, a Bachelor , profession Hawker , residence at time of Marriage Sandiacre, his father Robert Turvill was also a Hawker .
      Delia was a spinster , also living at Sandiacre at the time, her father Vernon Jones was also a Hawker . Witnesses , Joseph Woodwards , Eliza Steel . The Registration Area is Shardlow.
      My grn was Matilda born 16th August 1907 at Fair Ground , Clay Cross , Richard Turvill was her father ,Deliah Turvill formerly Lock . Fathers occupation Hawker , living at Fair Ground , Clay Cross.

Comment

Hi could she have been Cordelia Jones ?? but called Delia for short ?

Comment

candygirl

Why was her maiden name Lock and not Jones on Matilda's birth cert? I wonder if she had been married before because 29 would be considered very old for a traveller girl to be married first time.

OC

Comment

Hi Val , yes i suppose that's possible , hadn't thought of that , worth a try .thank you .the other problem i have is that she was called Minnie on the 1901 and 1911 census .

Comment

Delia is mentioned as a spinster on the Marriage Cert in 1900 , but i thought that odd to find her stating on the Birth Cert that she is Delia Turvill formerly Lock . the Birth records of 8 of the other children have the mothers name as Turvill but her other Daughter Frances born 1916 at Chesterfield ,it was Lock.Not found any other Marriage for her , could she have used her mothers maiden name , or could she have been adopted ?

Comment

Hello Candy Girl

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

This is the record of a baptism on FMP of a

Deliah Taylor baptised 22nd August 1872. She was born 26th July 1872

The baptism took place in Rossett, Denbighshire

Father Vernon a Basket Maker
                mother Nicoda

I was alerted to this information from a post on another site which gives lots of info on the family. Not sure if it is your post and you have discounted it. But just in case.

It gives various names for the family - Father Vernon aka as Jones and Taylor. Delia aka as Minnie and on the 1911 census as Bell. Here is the link

Vera
                Last edited by vera2013; 09-09-14, 21:52.

Comment

This is Vernon's burial record

Burial date 27th Nov 1886 Winnington. Mucklestone St Mary, Staffs

Note in the margin of the image is that Vernon died in a travelling van and was aka as Lock

Comment

Thank you Vera , yes i did have this information but i found it hard to understand the way it was sent to me from a member on Roots chat , the other thing is that Vernon Jones is named as her father on her Marriage Cert , would it be on that even if he was dead ?

Comment

Thank you Vera , yes i did have this information but i found it hard to understand the way it was sent to me from a member on Roots chat , the other thing is that Vernon Jones is named as her father on her Marriage Cert , would it be on that even if he was dead ?what doe's aka mean .?

Comment

Aka means "also known as ....."
                        Some people seemed to want to make it difficult by habitually using two or more names!
                        Anne

Comment

Candy Girl

Yes. Father would be named on a marriage cert whether alive or deceased. Sometimes, deceased (dec) will be recorded after the father's name but this does not always happen.

Vera

Comment

Thank you to all help given , making a little headway now with your help , Vera explained the information i had previous, from another source and she put it in a way i understood so now i start to explore this mystery relative at long last a little headway. thank you one and all .candygirl.

Comment

Good luck with your research Candy Girl.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                              X