Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen to our research when we die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will happen to our research when we die?

I have been thinking about this for a while (not that I'm feeling poorly or anything!!!) but it will come to us all sooner or later. I have just read James Tanner's blog to which Caroline gave the link. http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...the-technology

At the moment I do not have any online trees or information. Not because I'm particularly protective of my research but that's just how I work and Family Historian does not connect directly to Ancestry as I believe FTM does.

I am thinking that at some time I will put my whole tree on Ancestry as a public tree. I would just upload it as a GEDCOM and I know not all the notes and citations will follow. However that's maybe not the point. If my tree (in which I have a fair amount of pride and confidence having gathered many, many documents) gives even hints to other people who come after me it would help it to be perpetuated. I realise some "name collectors" will gobble up names and add them randomly to their own tree. Well, that's their lookout! Proper researchers would hopefully find my tree and use it as a basis to find out for themselves if it was correct.

Another alternative I have thought about is setting up my own website. But a I presume a website will eventually be taken down if its not paid for. An advantage of my own site is that I could include the supporting evidence I have collected.

I know that the Society of Genealogists will give a home to a tree but I'm not sure how 'public' and accessible this would be?

What does everyone else think?
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 06-09-14, 14:59.

I was thinking of doing the ancestry tree option as that will be there for many many years to come and they will make sure they keep trees online as long as they can to attract new customers. As you have identified a website of your own would stop the moment the hosting fee is not paid and/or the company concerned stops trading.

You could make sure all your supporting evidence is scanned and included on the ancestry tree - there does not appear to be a limit on size so I plan to add anything and everything including notes of why I think someone is on the tree when the found evidence is not clear.

I also plan to hand an electronic copy to my nephews and nieces in the (vain) hope they might be interested in later life and then at least they will have a start.

Margaret

Comment

It is a question I ask myself too, Ann. I have no descendants, nor my sister, my Mum and Dad are only children, so there is no-one to pass on the information to.
      I have a lot of corroborating evidence, but much of this requires explanation as census records indicate different relationships to the evidence I have in various other forms.
      I have had considered similar paths to yourself, eg a website, but am concerned that all would be lost if continued payment for the webspace is made. I have thought of the Ancestry route and also considered tribalpages free space, but that can be limiting in relation to supporting evidence.
      My first task is to ensure all the information is in one place and filed appropriately and have started this process. So I too, would be very interested in other peoples ideas.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

A further thought about online trees is of course FamilySearch.org who are an independent organisation and whose focus is on genealogy so once they get sorted with online trees that would be a great p;ace to put a tree.
        Margaret

Comment

Familysearch sounds like a good idea Margaret thank you.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I started "moving" my tree to Ancestry last summer. It wasn't a particular desire to publish & preserve, but more because I felt Ancestry's tree technology had matured to the point where it would be worthwhile and feasible to do. Before that, I just put a cut-down "honeypot" tree on Genes to attract contact.

Like many, I'd started my tree in PAF and had amassed over 12,000 individuals since I started in 2003 - so roughly 100 new names every month. But I disliked the way PAF stored sources, so everything I collected was stored in the notes field. In retrospect, that wasn't a great idea, involved lots of typing and wasn't portable. So I decided to upload a GEDCOM without the notes and link in all the sources from Ancestry's records, or create external sources if the information came from other sites or non-internet locations. This meant I could recheck my research on each individual, ensure I had valid BMD and census data linked as records and transfer any other notes as comments. Where I had larger amounts of notes, I created stories (e.g. three brothers had emigrated to New York and started a well-documented publishing business and I had pages of information). I also added photos etc where I had them.

It's VERY time-consuming, but actually quite rewarding. I've corrected lots of typos in names and dates, found a couple of places where I'd gone wrong and the Ancestry hint system has picked up some census years I'd missed and even found one branch which I had not realised had emigrated. It has slowed me down in finding new people, but I now have over 16,000 linked records. When I get bored with working in this way, I just switch into "find new people" mode and do pure research for a change. At this rate I reckon it will take another 18 months to complete. It's currently Private while I build the sources, but I intend to make it Public sometime next year.

So in short, I'd encourage you to go for it Anne !! It has other benefits that just to preserve your work.
            Rick

Comment

If no-one in the family is going to carry on your research, you could consider depositing it with the Society of Genealogists who will then keep it and make it available for others to use as a valuable resource.

Paper records you have amassed in the course of research are likely to long outlast any on-line storage you may have set up in your lifetime.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I visited the Society of Genealogists recently and they were urging me to deposit my research with them. They said they didn't mind if it contained errors etc, just having a record is good for them and other people being able to access it and agree/disagree with it. They pointed out that so much work is going to waste.

I don't have an up-to-date online tree, but I do communicate with a lot of other researchers, and luckily my elder daughter is as interested in the research as I am, so she will have it all.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                  If no-one in the family is going to carry on your research, you could consider depositing it with the Society of Genealogists who will then keep it and make it available for others to use as a valuable resource.

Paper records you have amassed in the course of research are likely to long outlast any on-line storage you may have set up in your lifetime.
                  That's spooky that you posted this simultaneously with me!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

A few people have previously mentioned that they have created books. I think FamilySearch also collects genealogy books, tho they're likely to film them and put them online. Other GenSocs may do the same, too.

Comment

Remember that local Record Offices also house research. I think they'd like you to get it in good order first, though!

I'm hoping to do books for each of my lines. One for my Lincolnshire families, one for Cornwall, one for Sussex, etc. However, I shall have to live a good 25 years longer! I'm still adding to my lines and this year have got my Cornish ancestors a lot further back with a lot more branches, and I'm working very hard on my Sussex lines.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

I've have mine on a disc which has all my observations etc, made by TribalPages. Perhaps in todays technology a cd is 'old hat' but coupled with my loose leaf binder full of supporting Tree documentation, it's the best I can do.

Comment

I have my tree on Ancestry and FTM. Recently I have passed my tree to two of my nieces who with their children found the whole things very interesting, unlike my daughter whose eyes remain glazed over from my past revelations to her.

I like the idea of a book for the different lines. I will look into that. My sister is still waiting for a print of my tree but alas no longer has an heir to pass it on to.

Vera

Comment

Been out!

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep them coming. I had not thought about FamilySearch and have not looked at what they offer since the changes. Nothing to stop us doing both of course. I like the idea of being 'forced' to go through the whole lot and correcting typos etc. I only have about 4,000 names so should be do able.
                            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                              Been out!

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep them coming. I had not thought about FamilySearch and have not looked at what they offer since the changes. Nothing to stop us doing both of course. I like the idea of being 'forced' to go through the whole lot and correcting typos etc. I only have about 4,000 names so should be do able.
                              Anne
                              My main tree is less than that and I also have been 'forced' to check everything so it's a good discipline!
                              Margaret

Comment

I put mine on Tribal Pages and like some of you I found it an extremely good discipline, entering names one at a time and checking details.

I am in two minds about this sharing business. I don't mind sharing with those who have a genuine connection to my tree but I do mind sharing with the idiots who just hoover up everything without discrimination in the cause of having a huge tree.

I'm also not too sure about putting a tree on familysearch to whom I have much to be grateful for, but really do not wish the LDS to baptise my dead ancestors!

OC

Comment

About 2 years ago a cousin pointed me to www.wikitree.com where their aim is to create one huge tree (free).

I have gradually been adding my relatives a branch at a time via GEDCOM uploads. It's a bit of a process as they do a matching process before the GEDCOM can be merged into WikiTree, so individuals are not duplicated (whereas in the past this was not the case and volunteers are now sifting through all the profiles to complete merges of duplicates, etc).

They also encourage uploading photos, certificates, etc.

At the moment it includes a large percentage of American Ancestry, but Australian, UK & European branches are also growing. I have found several matches in my research, and found new branches previously unknown. There is also a forum.

I initially uploaded my tree (minus sources) to the Rootsweb WorldConnect project around 2001, then created my own website. I thought about Ancestry, but have seen so much misinformation and didn't like the idea of sifting through umpteen trees all with mostly the same information which is the main reason I like WikiTree.

Vivian

Comment

Vivian

I hadn't heard of wikitree so I've just had a look.

Unfortunately, this looks very much like OneWorldTree and others of the same ilk. I found a very distant twiglet on there and the "research" is very poor, consisting of the "my granny told me" type facts. No effort has been made by the submitter to even find supporting birth evidence, something which I did in a few minutes, free, on freebmd and disproved their "facts".

I can't see the point myself.

OC

Comment

I'm a bit suspicious of sites like Wikitree and to some extent Family Search where the aim seems to be to have one huge tree. In theory this should work but in practice it seems to just be a big watered down mass.

I'm hoping that if I eventually put my tree on Ancestry (my preferred option at the moment) then it will stay as one entity and be available for those with the patience to figure out that its possibly a bit more accurate than the others which appear when you search, which all have exactly the same ridiculous proposals (for example having children simultaneously in the UK and the US!!!). If I'm looking for someone (often in my One Name Studies) I unashamedly check out the public trees on Ancestry to see what there is. Mostly they seem to know far less than me but sometimes I see a clearly more sensible tree and have found pointers for me to check out for myself .... I never copy directly but it can be a time saver to have the person already found on the census!!

Anne

Comment

I am hoping that different parts of my research will be accepted by county record offices, or area central libraries.

As the tree pertains only to me, an only child with no-one to follow on, there is no point asking East Yorkshire to take information about my father's Northumbrian & Norfolk roots. Similarly, my mother's paternal Yorkshire line has no interest for Norfolk researchers, whilst her maternal line does as that leads back to Norfolk.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                                        X