Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for software

Greetings friends,

I hope you can help. I am close to pulling out what hair I have left LOL.

I built me tree with FTM2014. After several months subscription to Ancestry. I have been able to locate several generations and relevant documents have been downloaded to it. Time to get off my !"£$ and get out to find the stories to fill out the tree. So my wife bought me an android tablet which I downloaded the Ancestry App.

Problems.....

The App, although real pretty looking does not allow you to view documents offline. I can see the tree, but not the documents unless I go online. An attempt to upload the documents manually, when downloaded come in a low resolution and are unreadable. After ending my subscription as I no longer need to research online, I can no longer see the documents on the tablet at all

So I am looking for something that runs on an android tablet that I can populate with my tree without being online.

So far every app I have tried will not allow this. Everyone requires an online membership and only keeps your files and documents online.

Ancestry
    My Heritage
    Families

and the list goes on....

I am looking for a bit of software that will allow me to populate a tree and attach relevant documents (census, birth certs, etc) that does not require being online (sort of a FTM for tablets).

I just can;t find one !

Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received

Merlyn, welcome to the forum, despite the initial hitch!

I've just looked at the more well known family history software programs which are available, and not much coming up for Android versions apart from RootsMagic which might be worth checking out.

There is also a Rootsmagic forum so you might get more info from that
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine.

I'll certainly check this one out. I have pretty much run through everything on the Apps store, but none will do what I am looking for.
      I figure I can;t be the only one n the planet that wants to take they tree with them on a tablet without accessing the internet LOL. I thought i;d havea go at writin an app....till I looked at the code LOL

Comment

LOL almost there......was looking great until I hit this....

Are my pictures available in the app?
        The app will display thumbnails of your images (which are stored in your RM database), but doesn't have access to the full resolution copies of your images.
        I find this very strange that they don;t allow this especially with the size of SD cards these days ( I am running on a 64Gb card)

Rootsmagic almost fit the criteria LOL..

Offline Reader..check
        Sync with PC database..check
        ability to read documents..fail :(

I'll have to sit down this weekend and write up all the apps I have tried. I am sure it'll be of use to someone LOL

Comment

Well I'm glad I asked cos it set me off on another search and I think I've found what I am looking for.....

Familysearch.org

Create your tree online...sync to their App ( it;s a little ropey but bare with it) and this can be viewed with the wireless connection turn off on the tablet.
          But any documents uploaded as .jpegs are in low res so become unreadable and any uploaded as PDF's can only be viewed on the website..

But...

Upload your documents ans .jpegs to Dropbox ( or save the to sd card/bluetooth to teh device) and attach them from the App and they are in full resolution.

It does mean recreating the tree, but when it;s done it will be a fully portable, high res, document laden family tree ready to impress anyone who will listen to you:-)

Thanks again for the help Elaine

Comment

The only concern is that the Latter Day Saints of Jesus Christ seem to be holding my data LOL. Hope I don;t get any knocks on the door.

Comment

Working...
            X