Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Carroll Ancestors

Hello,

My name is Susan (Carroll) Gauci and I have been researching my Irish ancestors for some years. I have recently had a breakthrough in my Irish research. James Carroll (GGG grandfather) was tried in Tipperary Ireland on 7 April 1827 for sheep stealing, he received a life sentence and transported to New South Wales Australia per Eliza (3) in 1827.

On 20 July 1837 (10 years later) James Carroll made application to the Colonial Secretary’s Office in NSW for his wife Mary Pinner / Penner and seven children to join him in New South Wales. In 1837 Mary was a resident in Ballylooby Tipperary Ireland and known to Rev. Mr. Fitzgerald of Ballylooby, Rev. Mr. Palmer of Tubrid and Mr Doherty Esq.

James again applied for Mary and his children to join him in New South Wales on 18 June 1838 but this time there was only mention of Mary Pinner / Penner his wife and four children.

On 26 December 1841 the Irish female convict barque “Mexborough” arrived in Hobart Town Tasmania from Dublin Ireland. Included in the passengers were fourteen free settlers consisting of six women and their eight children. It is recorded that these women had received permission to join their convict husbands who had been transported to Sydney, NSW, Australia some time previously. These “free settlers” listed included Mary Pinner / Penner, Mary and Jane Carroll, Ann Fox and five children, Hannah Murphy and two children and Jane and Catherine Nowlan.

On 3 January 1842 the male convict barque “Prince Regent (2)” arrived in Hobart Town Tasmania from Dublin Ireland and included steerage passengers James Carroll (GG grandfather), Edward Carroll, Thomas Carroll, John Fox and eight male children under ten years of age.

Does anyone have an interest in the Carroll and Pinner / Penner families from Ballylooby or Tubrid in Tipperary Ireland? Any assistance in finding further information on these families or the direction I can be pointed in would be most welcome. Have the Roman Catholic Church records survived for these periods of time?

Kind regards Sue

Hello Sue, Welcome to our Forum.
    There is a Site, http://www.rootsireland.ie that has about 20 James Carroll in Tipperary in the 1810 ish time frame. It is a subscription site so I couldn't look at each one. If you don't know the site, might be worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by suecarroll View Post
      Hello,

My name is Susan (Carroll) Gauci and I have been researching my Irish ancestors for some years. I have recently had a breakthrough in my Irish research. James Carroll (GGG grandfather) was tried in Tipperary Ireland on 7 April 1827 for sheep stealing, he received a life sentence and transported to New South Wales Australia per Eliza (3) in 1827.

On 20 July 1837 (10 years later) James Carroll made application to the Colonial Secretary’s Office in NSW for his wife Mary Pinner / Penner and seven children to join him in New South Wales. In 1837 Mary was a resident in Ballylooby Tipperary Ireland and known to Rev. Mr. Fitzgerald of Ballylooby, Rev. Mr. Palmer of Tubrid and Mr Doherty Esq.

James again applied for Mary and his children to join him in New South Wales on 18 June 1838 but this time there was only mention of Mary Pinner / Penner his wife and four children.

On 26 December 1841 the Irish female convict barque “Mexborough” arrived in Hobart Town Tasmania from Dublin Ireland. Included in the passengers were fourteen free settlers consisting of six women and their eight children. It is recorded that these women had received permission to join their convict husbands who had been transported to Sydney, NSW, Australia some time previously. These “free settlers” listed included Mary Pinner / Penner, Mary and Jane Carroll, Ann Fox and five children, Hannah Murphy and two children and Jane and Catherine Nowlan.

On 3 January 1842 the male convict barque “Prince Regent (2)” arrived in Hobart Town Tasmania from Dublin Ireland and included steerage passengers James Carroll (GG grandfather), Edward Carroll, Thomas Carroll, John Fox and eight male children under ten years of age.

Does anyone have an interest in the Carroll and Pinner / Penner families from Ballylooby or Tubrid in Tipperary Ireland? Any assistance in finding further information on these families or the direction I can be pointed in would be most welcome. Have the Roman Catholic Church records survived for these periods of time?

Kind regards Sue
      Irish research is notoriously difficult as there is very little surviving census records except for 1901 and 1911 - normally there would be one every 10 years from 1841 which might have given you some wider family names had you been able to search the villages concerned. Have a look on this site http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/ for the bits that remain for other than 1901 and 1911.

The RC church records do survive in parts but are jealously guarded so it can be difficult to get information from the priests involved - very little if anything is on line for RC parish records.

Margaret

Comment

Sue, you are into parish records as statutory BMD did not start in Ireland until 1864 with 1845 only for Protestant Marriages. You do not say whether or not you live UK or where else? Very few Irish Parish Records are online and the pay per view sites are very incomplete. You need to establish whether or not your folk are Catholic or Protestant as finding the records in Ireland will depend on which persuasion they are. RC parish records will be found at the National Library Dublin whereas the Protestant Records will be found at The National Archives Dublin. Contrary to belief most RC records survive but few go back much further than 1820. However the good news is that most of Tipperary Parish Records have survived from approximately 1798 with some slightly earlier. If living UK a visit to Ireland taking in your places of interest would be the best idea with a visit to Dublin, but if not in the UK that may be difficult for you. FMP have many Irish records but it is pot luck. None of my Tipperary ancestors are on there!! Before you decide anything take a look at our Irish Research Section which may help you. Griffiths Valuation is online as are the Tithe Aplotments and both these are worth looking at for your ancestors. The Griffiths Valuation gives more information than the Griffiths Valuation Index. There is a religious census for Tipperary which dates about 1745 and I have found some of mine on there. You can google search some of these things. Writing to the churches is very hit and miss and Tipperary have got very cagey of late. They prefer you to go through the Brien Boru Heritage Centre which costs a bomb! For what it's worth I belong to the Tipperary Historical Society but you can google search their website and read all their past books online for free.

Janet

Comment

Thank you AlanC. I will go and have a look.

Comment

Thank you Margaret, I will check out the census records that you mention, Regards Sue

Comment

Thank you Janet, I live in NSW. Every one who has replied to me has given me great ideas on where to look next, it's a great help. Regards Sue

Comment

James daughter

Originally posted by suecarroll View Post
                Hello,

Kind regards Sue
                Sue

on the 19 May 1852 james daughter and children arrived on the david mciver in sydney

Comment

As Sue hasn't been on for some time, might I suggest that you send her a private message so that she will hopefully get an e-mail telling her that you have some information. If you click on her name you will see the Private Message box appear.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                    As Sue hasn't been on for some time, might I suggest that you send her a private message so that she will hopefully get an e-mail telling her that you have some information. If you click on her name you will see the Private Message box appear.
                    thanks chrissie have done

Comment

Working...
                    X