SCOTT family of Canonbie, dumfriesshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCOTT family of Canonbie, dumfriesshire

My gt. gt. gt. grandfather was George Scott, who was blacksmith at Hollows, Canonbie. He married Ann Hogg in 1828. They had 6 children, Mary, Ann, Jane, Margaret, Robert and Wilhelmina. George had another son, John Scott born in 1826 with Ann Taylor. Mary had a son out of wedlock, with Walter Blyth, and his name was George. Ann had 2 children out of wedlock, one with William Nichol, whose name was Georgina Nichol, and one with John Wylie, whose name was Jane Wylie. Ann took John Wylie to the Dumfries Sheriff Court for a decree of maintenance for Jane in 1854. These grandchildren of George Scott and Ann Hogg lived with their grandparents. They also had grandchildren called William Scott and Margaret Scott aged 4 and 3 respectively on the 1861 census, and Mary Scott aged 10 on the 1871 census. Margaret also appears on the 1881 census and is shown as Robert Scott's niece. I have been unable to find any details of parentage for William, Margaret, and Mary, or whether they married and when they died. Also, George Blyth became George Scott on later censuses, and I have been unable to find any further details for him. Although George's daughters Mary and Ann married and had other children, their illegitimate children continued to be cared for by their grandparents. If anyone can help with information concerning any of these people, I would be most grateful.
Working...
X