Microsoft Security Essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Security Essentials

My wife's sister's laptop is riddled with viruses, malware and adware. She's accessed the net for nearly a year with next to no protection, only the Firewall is active. It's now got to the state where access to the net is blocked, the CD/DVD drive pops open a few seconds after closing, even with a disc installed, and she cannot copy files from a memory stick to her desktop but can open and read / save them. When she tries to access the net her screen fills with popups to the extent where the only thing left to do is close down, the Laptop is completely useless, it's only a year old. She now has to go to the local Library to access her emails and pay bills.

She has asked me for help, as she has no spare money to take it to a shop, but as we live over 200 miles apart it's not going to be easy. I've thought about downloading MSE to a Memory Stick and snail mailing it to her. Can MSE be run from a memory stick without the need to access the net for updates before scanning the hard drive. I have Norton 360 installed so cannot test it myself.

The sister cannot understand why her computer has got into the state it has. To use her own words "All I use it for is emails, Pay Bills, download music and games but I think my old man looks at those nasty sites". Enough said I thought.
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

I might be wrong here but I dont think she can , she may be abe to do a scan without updating though, have you looked on the Microsoft essentials site?

Comment

In order to use a USB stick she will need a portable app and if she does not have current access then you should download and install on a USB stick and send it to her. There are a couple of portable apps linked below which should be able to make a start on your sister's laptop but if she does manage to get things moving again her very first task must be to install anti-virus software. There are several free ones. Avast, AVG and of course Microsoft Security Essentials.

Portable security:

McAfee Stinger removes thousands of common viruses and 'fake alert' malware on-demand. It is not a replacement for a full antivirus, but handy in many situations. While not a replacement for full fledged antivirus software, Stinger is updated multiple times a week to include detection for newer Fake Alert variants and prevalent viruses.

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus for Microsoft Windows. It provides a graphical user interface to the Clam AntiVirus engine. It features high detection rates for viruses and spyware, regular antivirus updates from the ClamAV team, and a standalone antivirus scanner. ClamWin allows for manually scanning individual files, folder, or drives but does not include an always-on background

The big problem here is making sure that you can run the apps when you have inserted the drive, From your description of the CD problem I suspect that something is disabling the autoboot feature.

The best bet is to run Windows in Safe mode. In order to do this she needs to remove any CDs in the drive and any USB stick. After swtich on click the f8 key repeatedly during windows boot until you get a boot menu which includes windows safe mode (if she gets Windows, close down and start again). In the circumstances: do not choose networking, do not choose command prompt and do not choose last known good configuration (Sorry I can't say what is left as I do not have the menu in front of me)
      When windows boots in safe mode you should see a minimal graphics with SAFE (I think) written in each corner. My recollection is that the first thing it will do is ask if you want to do a system restore - the answer is no. She now needs to plug in her USB stick, access it using windows explorer and run the AV software scan - I expect it will take a long time so make sure the laptop is plugged into the mains. After that ... well it depends how embedded the malware is.

David
      Last edited by DavidNewton; 01-09-14, 20:38.

Comment

It occurred to me after re-readin my post and Val's that my advice not to choose safe mode with networking may prevent the AV software downloading definition updates. If thst is the case then scrub that piece of advice.

David
        Last edited by DavidNewton; 01-09-14, 20:48.

Comment

What I'll do is load all to a memory stick and send it, then try to deal with things over the phone.

Comment

or can you get remote access to her pc and do it for her ?

Comment

Her access to the net is blocked. Plus all the trouble she's got I don't want to let my PC anywhere near her's.

Comment

cant say I blame you

Comment

To be honest the only totally safe thing to do with a PC that badly infected is to wipe it and start again. Most laptops come with a recovery partition that will do that for you; you usually select it from the boot menu (before Windows starts to load). However there is an outside chance that the recovery partition is also infected; this is why the 'Getting Started' guide will strongly recommend creating recovery DVDs (she did do this, didn't she?)

If you do manage to do a restore you will have to restore any extra programs and data from backups. Web based email (Hotmail, Gmail etc) should all be safe on their servers.
                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Posting the memory stick this morning. If it fails then she will have to bring the PC to me. To give you an idea of her computer knowledge, when asked what version windows she is running she had to read the doc's to find out.

Comment

Here we are 11 days later and no update from the sister in law about how things are with the PC.

Comment

Phone call this morning. After testing everyday all is fine and back to normal

Comment

phew

Comment

A common problem. A lot of people dont know what version of Windows they are running and dont know how to find out either!!

Comment

Working...
                            X