Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help.

Hello to all that read this post.
    I'm not very intelligent and wondered if anyone could give me guidance in searching my family history. I have a few names of my past family and know that my great grandfather worked in an asylum in the north of England sometime at the beginning of the 1900's. My grandmother, his daughter came from Sunderland. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Glyn Dugald Thomas.

Hello Glyn and welcome to the forum.

If you feel you need some help in how to go about starting tracing your family history, then I would recommend that a good place to start is at the top left of this page, under the tree logo, where there is a tab saying reference library.
    I suggest you have a look in the "getting started" section (in the drop down box.) Another section that may help you is "research guides," also located in the drop down box.

Jot down on paper what you already know (or think you know!) and then when you need help with a specific inquiry, post it here and I'm sure forum members will do their best to help you.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-09-14, 17:42.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Welcome Glyn,

Most Asylums were Workhouses which later became Hospitals check out this website all about the History of the Workhouse.

You can check the census for his name and if he was working in a workhouse at the time of the census he should show up, census were taken every ten years from 1841 up to 1911 which are the available ones.

Edna

Comment

It is always best to look at certificates for births, deaths and marriages of all the people concerned to make sure you are following the right family - anecdotal information from relatives whilst helpful may not be accurate or complete.

So start with yourself, then your parents and so on going backwards. If you need any help to find out where the certificates can be purchased just post the names with what dates you know and the places - we will help you find them.
        Margaret

Comment

Hi, Thank you for trying to help me but I'm not intelligent enough to comprehend. So I think I'll just go through the rest of my life without finding my family history.
          Regards
          Glyn

Comment

Before you give up, why don't you tell us the names of your parents and maybe grandparents............we can try and find them for you.

Comment

Glyn

I think you are teasing us!

You say you are not very intelligent...yet you have written a perfectly literate opening post with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation, so you cannot be all that stupid.

As Alan says, give us some names and dates and let us try to find something for you and tell you how to do it yourself. Please remember though - this site does not allow details of living people to be displayed, so start with someone you know to be deceased.

OC

Comment

Hi Alan, Thank you for your reply.

Firstly I need to explain my comment about me not being very intelligent. I had a stroke a couple of years ago and find it very difficult to take information in. I can give out information.

All that I know of deceased members of my family are, my great grandfathers name was Dugald MacDougall, born in Scotland, he worked in an asylum in the north of England, early 1900's. In 1911 or there abouts, he had a daughter called Lily MacDougal, born in the Durham area, she married my grandfather only known to me as Bob Hudson and he lived in Erith in Kent. The had a daughter Dorothy (my mother), born in the Sunderland area.

Comment

Originally posted by Glyn Dugald Thomas View Post
                  Hi Alan, Thank you for your reply.

Firstly I need to explain my comment about me not being very intelligent. I had a stroke a couple of years ago and find it very difficult to take information in. I can give out information.

All that I know of deceased members of my family are, my great grandfathers name was Dugald MacDougall, born in Scotland, he worked in an asylum in the north of England, early 1900's. In 1911 or there abouts, he had a daughter called Lily MacDougal, born in the Durham area, she married my grandfather only known to me as Bob Hudson and he lived in Erith in Kent. The had a daughter Dorothy (my mother), born in the Sunderland area.
                  So sorry for my flippant remark Glyn..just goes to show we should never jump to conclusions..apologies

Linda

Comment

Is this the birth (note spelling) ?

Q4 1911 Sunderland LILY MCDOUGALL mother Moffat. If so we can go back from there.

Comment

Just to check this is the right person there were siblings as follows (all Sunderland RD)

Hannah M Q3 1914
                      Alice M Q1 1917

Comment

This could have been the asylum where Dugald worked

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Does look right as Q4 1901 Sunderland maariage of Hannah Moffatt & Dugald McDougall.

Where would you like to go with this- i.e. who do you want to trace back?
                          Last edited by Bertie; 04-09-14, 17:34.

Comment

Marriage:
                            Lily McDougall to Robert J Hudson (Bob?)
                            Registration District: Kendal Folio 10b page1758

Perhaps it was Kendal and not Kent, Glyn.

This is the only Dugald McDongall ( on image it is definitely McDougall) I could find on 1911 Census but his occupation is a driller in Shipyards. This would not tie in with what Glyn says re his occupation. What do we think?

Living 60 Bright Street Sunderland, Durham

Dugald McDongall Head mar 31 1880 Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland Ship Hands Drillers
                            Hannah McDongall Wife Mar 32 1879 Durham Monkwearmouth -
                            Sarah Ann McDongall Dau 8 1903 Durham Southwick -
                            Catherine McDongall Dau 6 1905 Durham Southwick -
                            Allan McDongall Son 3 1908 Yorks Goole -
                            Sarah Ann Moffat Mother In Law Widow 71 1840 Durham Monkwearmouth -
                            Thomas Moffat Brother In Law Mar 48 1863 Durham Monkwth Ship Platers Helper
                            Ethel May Bailey Niece Sing 21 1890 Durham Monkwth Drapers Assistant
                            (Mother-in-law and Brother-in-law conveniently with their daughter)

This ties up with the marriage found above. Here is the marriage from England Select Marriages.

Name: Dugald Mcdougall
                            Marital Status: Single
                            Birth Date: 1879
                            Marriage Date: 15 Dec 1901
                            Marriage Place: Parish Church, Southwick, Durham, England (Southwick is where two of the children were born)
                            Father: Allan Mcdougall ...............(looks like one of the children was named after grandfather too.)
                            Spouse: Hannah Moffatt b 1877

Hannah's father was Joseph Moffatt.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-09-14, 22:31.
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

just need Glyn to come back now and possibly order some certs to confirm what has been found
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Bertie, This is definitely a maybe as I know my grandmother was born around that year and also came from Sunderland. I don't know my great grandmothers maiden name, only my great grandfather Dugald McDougall. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Hi Bertie, For some reason the name Alice rings a bell but I don't know why.

Comment

Hi Katarzyna, The first part of what you have put seems very likely to me but as for names of children from my great grandfather Dugald, I only know of Lily. Lily died and was cremated in Norwich around the mid 1990's but her name at death was Lily Wood. Thank you for all the help you are giving me.

Comment

Hi Darksecretz, I will try and see if I can get one of my friends to help me with GEDCOM. If I can sort one out, I will let you know. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you Janet for the link. It was interesting to see where my great grandfather may have work.

Comment

Working...
                                        X