Norwich Castle/Prison exhibition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich Castle/Prison exhibition

I have an ancestor who was sentenced to six months hard labour in 1870 for receiving stolen goods (tut!). He was sent to Norwich Castle which housed the local prison. I've now discovered that there is a new exhibition at Norwich Castle at the moment which gives an insight as to Victorian prison life there so I thought I'd post a link here in case there are any others who may be interested.

(Hope this is the right board - if not, please move my thread mods!).

Local news headlines for Norfolk, Suffolk, and the surrounding East Anglia areas from the Eastern Daily Press.

I used to go to the Norwich Castle Museum a lot when I lived in Norwich. I've been down to the prison cells once and they have a very eirie feeling. I wouldn't want to go down there again.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
      I used to go to the Norwich Castle Museum a lot when I lived in Norwich. I've been down to the prison cells once and they have a very eirie feeling. I wouldn't want to go down there again.
      I'm sure it wasn't a great place to be. I'm looking forward to finding out all I can about what it was like there though. I must say, it certainly looks more like a prison from the outside than a castle.

Comment

Working...
      X